Use PowerShell on Fedora

Hi everyone,

@ozymandias42 and I have spent a couple of days to write an article about using PowerShell on Fedora. Unfortunately, the process is a hassle due to the Microsoft docs not stating that the powershell package supports the latest versions of Fedora. We would like some volunteers to review our article. Thank you!

https://teams.fedoraproject.org/project/asamalik-fedora-magazine/us/269?kanban-status=196

1 Like

Do you have a link to the article for us to review?

Yes, here https://fedoramagazine.org/?p=33418&preview=true.

So you titled the article “Use PowerShell on Fedora”, but the article is entirely about installing it. I think focusing more on the use will make for a more compelling article. You can cut out some of the installation part. Maybe just include the “Direct install via .rpm file” and “Fedora Toolbox container” sections.

The rest of the article should talk about why the reader would want to install it. What are the benefits of using PowerShell (e.g. the native objects), etc. In particular, you want the first paragraph to explain some of the benefits so that readers will be motivated to read the rest of the article.

Does that make sense?

2 Likes

We were initially thinking about writing an article about using PowerShell, but looking at how complicated it was to install PowerShell the safer way due to lack of official support, we had to include workarounds.

Perhaps we can rename the title to “Installing PowerShell on Fedora” and later write an article about its usage would sound better?

Maybe. I’m not really keen on the idea of an article that’s just installing, but let’s see what other editors think.

Take this as a random 2¢ rather than Official FPL view… I think it’s useful to have easy “get started with…” articles. Many people might hit difficulties and decide Fedora is not for them.

What about a small series, starting with installation on Fedora Linux, then an article about basic use, and then one with some advanced tricks?

2 Likes

I’d be okay with that under two conditions:

1. I’d want all of the articles ready (or nearly ready) before we start publishing them so that we don’t accidentally end up with a long gap between them
  2. I’d still like to see some “why the reader should care” in the opening.

Or another approach would be to take the “how to install” and add it to the Quick Docs. Then the basic and advance use articles could point there for the installation information instead of having that be it’s own Magazine article.

1 Like

Sure!