Screen locking/Energy Saving not turning off screen, how to fix?

Hi;

I have a laptop with an external screen attached, and when I come into my office in the morning, the screen is displaying the background, time, and login prompt. I’d really rather it turned off the screens after I’ve walked away for the evening.

In System Settings > Power Management > Energy Saving > On AC Power, the “Screen Energy Saving” option is checked, and it says it will switch off after 10 minutes, but it doesn’t.

This worked in f35, but ever since I upgraded to f37 a couple of days ago, the monitors stay on.

How do I fix this?

I’m using KDE on Xwayland, if that helps.

Thanks!

1 Like

Hello and welcome. This might be a bug in 5.27. I’ve seen a few people have this issue, including myself.

Hopefully it’s fixed in the upcoming 5.27.1.

Yes, it’s not a F37 problem, it just started when I update to Plasma 5.27. I ran a second update which has put me at 5.27.1 but the screen saver / sleep is still not working.

There does seem to be a fix for this: https://src.fedoraproject.org/rpms/kf5-kidletime/c/2a096ad8d7e9ab9a838156021991d86e76971117?branch=rawhide

But the regular repo only has kf5-kidletime-5.103.0-1.fc37.src.rpm (not -2) so far.

The fix is now in the F37 updates. Seems to work.

I’ve got kf5-kidletime-5.103.0-2.fc37.x86_64, but it doesn’t seem to have solved the problem.

Is there something else I need to do besides rebooting?

Sorry, as a newb I couldn’t reply sooner. All I did was update and reboot. But when I first had the problem I did change the screensaver timeout, just to force it to re-write it. (bit of a long shot, but I thought it was worth a try).