Firefox stopped playing videos

After normal usage of Fedora 36 and Firefox, videos stopped working in Firefox. I installed all the codecs and plugins for video to work, and it did work normally. But for a week or so , videos stopped working in Firefox. I have to use Gnome Web to watch videos.
I tried with flatpak version and it’s the same. I have the latest version of Fireofx 100.0.2

Any ideas?

To make sure that you install all codes i will again list what you need.Firstly install rpmfusion repos free and non-free . Install ffmpeg ffmpeg-libs packages and gstreamers plugins ‘sudo dnf install gstreamer1-plugins-{bad-*,good-*,base} gstreamer1-plugin-openh264 gstreamer1-libav --exclude=gstreamer1-plugins-bad-free-devel’ & 'sudo dnf install lame* --exclude=lame-devel
'.Check settings of firefox that box of Digital Rights Management (DRM) Content is tick

1 Like

I get:

Error: Unable to find a match: gstreamer1-libav

With the other command, everything is already installed. I did checked the DRR in Firefox and it’s enabled.
Odd, because it did work until a week or two…

And thanks for help.

Check your rpmfusion repo free is enabled and if so run again command it is important plugin to install

1 Like

I have added the free repo and installed all the packeges from post#2, restarted the computer and it still doesn’t work :thinking:

What does firefox say or show when videos fail to play? Videos on youtube don’t play either?

Does for instance journalctl --since "3 minutes ago" say anything right after firefox has failed to play a video on the web?

2 Likes

Odd…YouTube works, other don’t. On Vimeo it goes in loop with stop/pause. It looks like I click the button Play/Pause every couple of miliseconds. On local TV news it just loads to infinity. On PeerTube it’s the same as on Vimeo (loop with play/pause).

I get this:

maj 26 22:25:52 thinkpadx1 firefox.desktop[2729]: Unsupported modifier, resource creation failed.
maj 26 22:25:52 thinkpadx1 firefox.desktop[2729]: XXX: resource creation failed
maj 26 22:25:58 thinkpadx1 firefox.desktop[3947]: [Child 3947, MediaDecoderStateMachine #1] WARNING: Decoder=7fac78975500 Decode error: NS_ERR>
maj 26 22:25:58 thinkpadx1 firefox.desktop[3947]: [Child 3947, MediaDecoderStateMachine #1] WARNING: Decoder=7fac71666a00 Decode error: NS_ERR>
maj 26 22:25:58 thinkpadx1 firefox.desktop[3947]: [Child 3947, MediaDecoderStateMachine #1] WARNING: Decoder=7fac71666a00 Decode error: NS_ERR>
maj 26 22:25:59 thinkpadx1 firefox.desktop[3947]: [Child 3947, MediaDecoderStateMachine #1] WARNING: Decoder=7fac71666a00 Decode error: NS_ERR>
maj 26 22:25:59 thinkpadx1 firefox.desktop[3947]: [Child 3947, MediaDecoderStateMachine #1] WARNING: Decoder=7fac6d8bb900 Decode error: NS_ERR>
maj 26 22:26:02 thinkpadx1 firefox.desktop[2729]: Unsupported modifier, resource creation failed.
maj 26 22:26:02 thinkpadx1 firefox.desktop[2729]: XXX: resource creation failed
maj 26 22:26:04 thinkpadx1 firefox.desktop[2729]: Unsupported modifier, resource creation failed.
maj 26 22:26:04 thinkpadx1 firefox.desktop[2729]: XXX: resource creation failed
maj 26 22:26:12 thinkpadx1 firefox.desktop[2729]: Unsupported modifier, resource creation failed.
maj 26 22:26:12 thinkpadx1 firefox.desktop[2729]: XXX: resource creation failed

Hi,

Right. Hard to say if those messages are related. I’m not seeing them after viewing a video on Vimeo (successfully) anyhow.

You could try the FF main menu → Help → Troubleshoot mode, to see if videos are more playable then.

1 Like

Hey,

I tried with troubleshoot mode, but it’s the same. Maybe I should just delete Firefox (with all the setting files, etc.) and install it again.
On Ubuntu it was sudo apt purge firefox*
Could someone help me with command for Fedora? Thanks

Aha. Should be just dnf remove firefox DNF :: Fedora Docs . I hope that and a reinstall fixes your system’s issue.

I removed firefox with dnf remove firefox, but .mozzila stays. And when I install it again, everything is back to where it was (videos not playing).
I will now remove firefox, delete .mozzila and install firefox again.

edit: uau, it still doesn’t work :exploding_head:

What do you get it if you run run firefox from the command line?

1 Like

I get:

$ firefox
Unsupported modifier, resource creation failed.
XXX: resource creation failed

can you check witch profile you running (right mouse button on firefox icon --open the profile manager ) should be two default and default-release. Select default-release and try like that to run videos.

1 Like

it runs default-release by default :slight_smile:
And it’s still the same…

Some seem to think the issue is Firefox and how it communicates with Wayland—as per threads here and here on Reddit—and I can at least confirm no issues running Firefox Nightly on Wayland.

1 Like

ok did you try install ‘firefox-wayland’ launcher --The firefox-wayland package contains launcher and desktop file to run Firefox explicitly on Wayland.

1 Like

I have tried with wayland version. It starts up really fast, but the videos still don’t work

Even FIrefox Nightly doesn’t play videos…

Okay… Just to check all the bases, is this a sound issue and a playback issue; that is, does sound play correctly and its “only” streaming videos with the issue?

1 Like