We’re working on Fedora Strategy 2028 — our next five-year plan. We are now reviewing those Objectives and their associated Impact. Read this guide for details on the current planning phase.
Focus Area: Reaching the World
I’ll admit right up front: this focus area is a little bit less… well, focused than some of the others. Particularly, the third Objective doesn’t seem to directly fit with the others. That’s because this kind of shifted around as we were developing this draft. It was originally directly linked to Accessibility, under the Theme Fedora is for everyone, and called “Remove other limits”.
As the Fedora Council worked on that, we felt that access to Fedora Linux systems in cloud providers and CI services was different enough from preinstalled hardware — especially in intended Impact — that it should be its own thing. And we dropped a kind of vague Objective about improving documentation and user support. (Those things are certainly important, but we found we had a hard time writing something that felt concrete and actionable.)
Is this the right way to group these ideas? Are there other big ideas that really should be here? Should one or more of these Objectives be somewhere else?
Objectives & Impact
|Fedora Linux is available pre-installed on more systems from more vendors.||Reduced barrier to entry lets more people try Fedora.|
|Fedora Linux is widely available in cloud providers and CI services.||Fedora is perceived as the default developer platform.|
|Fedora maintains a strong network of thriving local communities around the world.||As a distributed project, we are more diverse and resilient.|
The work at hand:
- In this topic, discuss the overall focus area and how the three Objective / Impact pairs fit in. If you think we should re-word or re-orient “Reaching the World” to better describe the concept, this is the place. It’s also where we want to identify any crucial alternate or missing Objective / Impact ideas that fit the focus. Please review “What if something is missing?” — we already have an ambitious plan, so ideally we should now be looking at adjusting alignment and scope rather than brainstorming new ideas. But if there’s something very important that we’re missing, now is definitely better than later.
- In separate topics per Objective (and associated Impact), discuss and validate each:
- Objective Review: Fedora Linux is available pre-installed on more systems from more vendors - Fedora Discussion
- Objective Review: Fedora Linux is widely available in cloud providers and CI services - Fedora Discussion
- Objective Review: Fedora maintains a strong network of thriving local communities around the world - Fedora Discussion
As outlined in the roadmap, this post will close in one month.