We’re working on Fedora Strategy 2028 — our next five-year plan. We are now reviewing those Objectives and their associated Impact. Read this guide for details on the current planning phase.
Focus Area: Accessibility
By “Accessibility”, we mean digital accessibility (commonly abbreviated “a11y”). This means designing and providing software that it is usable by people with disabilities.
This came up very early in our planning discussions as a top community priority. We believe that improvements in this area will directly increase our user and contributor base. And, this links right to the heart of the Fedora vision, which calls for community-built free and open source software to benefit everyone.
We developed three Objectives that form a funnel: reaching potential people who might be interested in Fedora, making it possible for more people to use Fedora Linux, and making it possible for those people to contribute and become part of our community.
Objectives & Impact
|Fedora websites and docs use the current best-practices for a11y.||Expanded access to information allows people we were not able to reach before to enter the Fedora world.|
|Fedora Linux Editions use the best-available open source a11y tech||People who benefit from assistive technology can become Fedora Linux users.|
|Our project tooling follows best a11y practices.||Users who benefit from assistive technology can become Fedora Project contributors.|
The work at hand:
For each Objective (what we plan to accomplish) and Impact (why we are doing that) our goal is to validate these things:
- If the Impact is achieved, it’s reasonable to expect an increase in active Fedora contributors.
- Success in the Objective logically results in the intended Impact.
- That link is reasonably sufficient — that is, it represents everything needed to have the Impact.
- While there might be other ways to have similar Impact, the chosen Objective is the right one for Fedora right now.
- The wording is precise and clear. The Objective is concrete, and the Impact is (at least a little bit) inspirational. Together, they fit into this Focus Area.
For many of the other focus areas, I plan to make four separate topic posts: one for the focus area in general, and one for each specific Objective. In this case, the three Objectives fit together closely enough that I think one will be sufficient. (If that turns out to be wrong, I’ll split it up!)
As outlined in the roadmap, this post will close in one month. So, let’s get started!