This Objective is part of the Theme “Fedora is for everyone”, and the Focus Area Reaching the World. For general discussion of this focus area, please see the topic Fedora Strategy 2028: Focus area review (Reaching the World) - Fedora Discussion.
Objective: Fedora maintains a strong network of thriving local communities around the world.
Impact: As a distributed project, we are more diverse and resilient.
According to a probably-apocryphal story, a famous bank robber was once asked why he robbed banks, and he replied: “Because that’s where the money is.” We should work to make Fedora stronger around the world because that’s where the people are. Or, to put it another way: not only does this lead to our strategic guiding star, but it connects directly to the project Vision.
Before Covid, we started a project to revamp the Fedora Ambassadors’ program. That initiative continued despite the pandemic, and we have some good groundwork (see the Ambassador documentation, but there hasn’t been much space to put that into action. As travel and in-person events resume, we’ll need strong Ambassadors teams to spread our messaging, talk about the project, bring new people in.
But, we’ll need more than event-focused Ambassadors. To be a truly global project as we aspire to be, we need people everywhere working across the project — and working on things that are interesting and beneficial to their local communities. We should have translation sprints, local meetups, and fun Fedora social activities, and more. That’s getting into specifics (which is the next planning phase!), but I want to make sure that what we have at this level captures the intended broad scope.
For this Objective and related Impact, validate that:
- If the Impact is achieved, it’s reasonable to expect an increase in active Fedora contributors.
- Success in the Objective logically results in the intended Impact.
- That link is reasonably sufficient — that is, it represents everything needed to have the Impact.
- While there might be other ways to have similar Impact, the chosen Objective is the right one for Fedora right now.
- The wording is precise and clear. The Objective is concrete, and the Impact is (at least a little bit) inspirational. Together, they fit into this Focus Area.
Bonus. If you can improve the longer explanatory paragraphs at the top of this post, that’s helpful too!
As outlined in the roadmap, this post will close in one month.