Fedora Objective proposal: Community Outreach Revamp

The Community Outreach Revamp initiative has proposed being accepted as a Fedora Objective. Read the details on the Community Blog post. Please discuss the topic here and the Council will begin voting in two weeks.

3 Likes

1 Like

I’m going to try something: a public poll just to gauge sentiment. This isn’t a vote, just a straw poll. Also note that I’ve configured the poll so that names are not anonymous. If you pick one of the options other than “let’s go!”, please leave feedback in this thread about what adjustments you might recommend.

1 Like

Wait, I’m redoing the poll because that one doesn’t show who voted for what (for the record: that doesn’t work for pie charts, just bar charts). Trying again here — sorry to the one person who already voted in the other one. Please vote again!

Community Outreach Revamp Straw Poll
  • This is great as is!
  • I like it but suggest some minor tweaks.
  • This could work with big adjustments.
  • I have serious reservations.
  • I think we should focus our energy elsewhere.

0 voters

1 Like

It was me and I forgive you.

1 Like

My minor tweaks are just incredibly fiddly points about logic model organization. Overall I’m very in favor. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Specifically:

Very minor: there’s an Activity to design the new swag and handouts (good) but “distribute new rebrand materials” should be in the Activities column as well somewhere, and a corresponding entry in outputs as well. In general it’d be nice to put numbers on things in the Outputs column where we can.

Less minor: I’d like to see more concrete measurables for Outcomes. How will we determine that teams are functional? How will we decide that we have clear processes and documentation and an easy-to-participate-in onboarding process? How will we know if Awareness is at levels we deem successful? How will we know people feel connected to their team identities?

None of this will block me from voting for this, but having it done up front will make it easier for us to evaluate progress and eventual results.

2 Likes

I think the Outcomes need to be more measurable and specific with a plan for measurement.

I also want to put out there that a lot of the deliverables here are a one-time thing… but I think some thought should be put towards ongoing / maintenance type activities. Because for example, new docs are great but they have to be maintained, and to keep them maintained they should start with a plan for sustaining them over time. The plan could be something as simple as, for example, scheduling an every 3-6mo review as part of the charter of the relevant team leadership, to review and update. But that thinking I think should take place now and the process be outlined.

I also see that as a lot of the output are deliverables, I’d like to know if there is a distribution plan in mind (if not written up) for the materials in terms of how we’ll get them out and make them available. It’s mentioned that it’s a marketing team responsibility but I think understanding at the start what shape that delivery might take shape in (e.g. a special outreach specific website? social media distribution? some other platform like discourse? all of the above?) would help guide the creation of the content to be targeted for the correct target media. I’d suggest starting with a table of potential outlets. And thinking about, not just how do we announce this big change when it happens, but also where do the documents live and get access after the initial big announcement and in the general day-to-day operations over the long term as a reference. (could just be the fedora docs site, thats fine too, or could also involve a physical component like a printed “welcome kit” sent to new folks. would just like to see it written down :slight_smile: )

Should the Join team have a role here in the logic model? Community Outreach includes new community contributor recruits too, right?

3 Likes

I agree with the comments about measurable outcomes, same reasons… easier to know if we are in course, easy to know how much we accomplish and then explain why we got such results, how we improve and where we should go next.

3 Likes