Tools/applications written in Rust

Which tools/applications written in Rust you miss in Fedora repositories?

Do not hesitate to make proposals in a reply!

I’ll keep topic updated with the progress.

Already packaged

Project Description Availability
base100 Encode your data into emoji. f28
f29
f30
bat cat clone with syntax highlighting and Git integration. f28
f29
f30
exa Modern replacement for the command-line program ls, with more features and better defaults. It uses colours to distinguish file types and metadata. It knows about symlinks, extended attributes, and Git. f28
f29
f30
fd-find Simple, fast and user-friendly alternative to find. f28
f29
f30
gcsf FUSE file system based on Google Drive. f28
f29
f30
hexyl Simple hex viewer for the terminal. It uses a colored output to distinguish different categories of bytes (NULL bytes, printable ASCII characters, ASCII whitespace characters, other ASCII characters and non-ASCII). f28
f29
f30
hyperfine Command-line benchmarking tool. f28
f29
f30
ripgrep Line-oriented search tool that recursively searches your current directory for a regex pattern while respecting your gitignore rules. Similar to other popular search tools like The Silver Searcher, ack and grep. f28
f29
f30
ternimal Simulate a lifeform in the terminal. f28
f29
f30
tokei Program that displays statistics about your code. Tokei will show number of files, total lines within those files and code, comments, and blanks grouped by language. f28
f29
f30

To be packaged

Project Description
snowpatch Enabling continuous integration for patch-based development workflows.
Fractal Matrix messaging app for GNOME.
Zola Fast static site generator in a single binary with everything built-in.
Shortwave Find and listen to internet radio stations.

pinned #2

I’m just getting started with Rust - the one I didn’t see was rustup. Most of the books recommend you install rustup and let it install the rest locally, rather than having a system-wide fixed toolchain.

I think the reason why we don’t want to package rustup is because we don’t want people to use non-system compilers.

The rest of developers can install rustup themselves.

This is why I love the Silverblue concept so much - IMHO the OS should just be the kernel / device manager, a rational command line and a display / desktop - everything else should be isolated in a container via podman or flatpak. Want a Rust toolchain? Run it in a container! :wink:

This is precisely why I’m against the idea of Silverblue.

You can also tell rustup about the system toolchain:

$ rustup toolchain link system /usr

And perhaps:

$ rustup default set system

I use this because I do test with different versions while developing crates, but by default I want to use Fedora’s rustc, cargo, and extended tools.

To add to this a bit: there are Docker images for pretty much every Rust version, so it’s basically a really nice, isolated rustup.

I’d like to see zola, the rust-based static-site generator packaged for Fedora.

I know that it doesn’t use crates.io, though, so I’m not sure if that would impede its ability to be packaged for Fedora.

I’ll add it to my list, thanks!

It is okay, we can package things as long as they are available somewhere and their dependencies are available on crates.io (which seems to be the case).

Requesting package: Shortwave