The first round table of 2024 happened on 17 January
Creative Freedom Summit will take place next week!
Note: Follow-up items are linked to clarify where they are coming from.
Can be discussed further outside meetings. It needs some urgent attention, though, due to RHEL7 going EOL by end of June 2024 (see main topic). Akash provided an update meanwhile.
I suppose this topic can be removed from the agenda, seeing that we have an update and also due to the news regarding possible consequences of RHEL7 EOL.
Still on the to-do list. Item can be taken off follow-ups .
Good First Issues (GFIs) (Justin)
Moved to next meeting since Justin is not in the meeting.
@jflory7, please leave a comment as to what to do regarding this item and its current status. You were a bit surprised in chat to see this on the agenda.
DevConf.cz (June 13-15, 2024 in Brno, Czech Republic) is the most likely option. Sandro to follow up with Justin . Marie to pitch in with helping organizing, but will most likely not attend in person, but virtually.
How does this affect Badges:
- Current Badges is still running on RHEL7 servers due to its dependency on fedmsg, which is written in Python 2.x (now EOL) and no longer maintained.
- Infra team needs to upgrade those machine or turn them off.
- We need to come up with a plan on how to move badges off these old servers and port it to fedora-messaging, the service that has replaced
We discussed the situation:
- Any upgrade of the machines will entail a move to Python 3.x. Akash is talking with CPE folks regarding resources for porting Badges to the new system.
- Sandro wonders how much work it will be to port from Python 2.x to 3.x.
- Akash clarifies that it is
fedmsgholding us back. The badges components (tahrir, etc.) have already been ported to Python 3.x. Help in porting to
fedora-messagingmight be available from Aurélien (@abompard), the author of
- How much work that entails and if it can be done before end of June, needs to be investigated.
- Marie asks if this could be part of the Hackfest.
- Akash: That would be too late.
- Sandro: Hackfest should focus on Badges 2.0. However, we could look at some bugs arising from the port to
- Marie offers to help out with project management. We should have a plan by next meeting.
- Akash will be contacting folks to come up with a plan and a to-do list.
- Sandro, Akash and Emma will all be at FOSDEM (February 3-4, 2024 in Brussels, Belgium) and could further discuss there in the fringes.
- Marie has an idea of running a campaign: Badges will DIE! We need your help. Images of of a dying Badger on life support where floated around.
The next meeting will take place on Wednesday, February 14, 2024 1:00 PM→Wednesday, February 14, 2024 2:00 PM (Valentine’s Day )
We reflected on the health of the revamp, the participation and the proposed split into sub-groups, that never happened.
While we certainly have hit a low, we are still in good spirits hoping to turn things around. Nobody wants to see somewhere near a or a .
That clarification is already reflected in the meeting minutes. It was less clear in the meeting’s agenda. ↩︎