Kinoite, a KDE (and now XFCE) version of Fedora Silverblue

Links from Current status of Fedora Kinoite (official & unofficial builds) should help. Let me know if you’re missing something.

And the latest update is broken due to the podman broken update: [BUG] toolbox broken after 2:3.2.0-0.1.rc1.fc34 update · Issue #166 · fedora-silverblue/issue-tracker · GitHub

Workaround:

$ rpm-ostree override replace https://kojipkgs.fedoraproject.org//packages/podman/3.1.2/1.fc34/x86_64/podman-3.1.2-1.fc34.x86_64.rpm https://kojipkgs.fedoraproject.org//packages/podman/3.1.2/1.fc34/x86_64/podman-plugins-3.1.2-1.fc34.x86_64.rpm
$ rpm-ostree ex apply-live --allow-replacement # or reboot
1 Like

Works!

Hi can I rebase my current silverblue install to kinoite, or is it better to do a fresh install?

As we do not yet have an installation media for Kinoite, you will have to install Silverblue first and rebase. Any existing Silverblue installation should work. Or you can do a direct installation with Kinoite but this is a little bit more complex as you will have to do it with a Kickstart file.

Installers will be available once we start building Kinoite officially in Fedora (soon).

1 Like

Thanks for your reply I have an existing Silverblue installation so I’ll have a go at rebasing tomorrow :blush:

To update - I rebased to Kinoite for which the process succeeded, however, not without problems quiet a lot of things were missing such as Konsole it was installed just did not show up in the menu I could run Konsole if I ran it from CLI but for me there was too much missing so I will do a fresh install and try Kinoite that way.

How awesome is Silverblue though, I simply rebased back to Silverblue and everything is where I left it.

Loving SB :grinning:

Well I did a fresh install and realised that is how the system comes with a very basic set of apps. I’ll work on this later and install the remaining items.

This is interesting and sounds similar to the issues detailed in this thread. Did you also experience missing .desktop files and kf.service related errors when starting KDE applications from a terminal emulator? I’m still trying to do my best to diagnose what’s going on with Kinoite on my machine, but I’m merely an end-user and not a dev, so my approach is pretty scattershot, admittedly. :sweat_smile:

Yep very similar I am going to persevere see how things come along.

I have rebased to Silverblue Gnome is my second choice, but I need a system I can use and Silverblue is excellent and stable.

Hopefully it will not be long before we can test Kinoite on 35 :scream:

1 Like

Thank you for the information! Hopefully this will be fixed soon, especially since multiple people have confirmed it. Good luck with regular Silverblue, by the way. It’s a wonderful OS. :slight_smile:

1 Like

I rebased two days ago to kinoite/KDE and there were missing openvpn und NetworkManager-openvpn, but the problem is even after installing them - connecting to a vpn through the GUI still does not work. Maybe I’m missing something else?

My current workaround is installing only openvpn and using eOVPN (flatpak) for GUI.
Before rebasing I had saved and connected to VPN from the networkmanager applets of gnome, so those two package were definitely integrated into the silverblue image. Can we get them integrated as well into the kinoite image? :slight_smile:

Thanks in advance!

You need plasma-nm-openvpn (which should add all dependencies). I’m considering including it as part of the image to make this simpler.

I know it must be stated somewhere in this long thread.

Would you please advice what is the remote refs that can be used to rebase from a Silverblue deployment to Kinoite latest?

Thank you so much, it works now. Definitely should be included as part of the image. After all it’s a part of the desktop environment’s functionality. That’s why it’s of course included in gnome’s Silverblue image.

Can i ask, where do the packages from the base image of Kinoite come from? Do they share the same source as the ones I have installed from fedora’s repos with rpm-ostree install? Since I have layered them now, could I run into incompatibility problems during upgrades?

I’m still trying to wrap my head around the Silverblue/ostree system, which i find it’s fantastic!

The summary is in Current status of Fedora Kinoite (official & unofficial builds). See the Fedora Magazine article for the commands: Discover Fedora Kinoite: a Silverblue variant with the KDE Plasma desktop - Fedora Magazine. You’ll have to replace 33 by 34 to get the latest.

3 Likes

Kinoite (and all the other variants) are 100% built from untouched Fedora RPM packages so there is no risk of incompatibility. The only difference is that my unofficial builds are signed by my personal OpenPGP key and not Fedora’s one.

1 Like

Indeed, I will probably add that in the next builds. Thanks

Strictly theoretically speaking - when i have those packages layered, what will happen in my case in the future, when you introduce those same packages in an upcoming upgrade of the base kinoite image?

Should i remove them beforehand or?

1 Like

Hey Timothée, I would be very interested in such a (probably updated?) package list, or is it somehow possible to get the needed from the “dnf groupinstall kde-desktop-environment” command. Are these the same packages I need for the sudo rpm-ostree install command or are the packages different?

1 Like

You can easily generate an updated list with the linked script. Just clone the workstation-ostree-config repo, switch to the f34 branch, copy the script there and run it.

The generated lists are a subset of those packages, essentially removing all non critical applications.

1 Like

OK, but I get a 404.
EDIT: I have it now. Thanks a lot!!!