Introducing myself : Ramin

So I’m finally here… After some documents and reading, I found the commOps to be a good place for me to start. I’m a junior CS student mainly working with C/C++ focused on algorithm efficiency (I know, I know no vue, JS, etc, I know some CSS and HTML at least). I’m just starting out in the computation field, and I enjoy dealing with documentations, writing them, and incorporating them in my code later on. I would greatly appreciate any mentoring and help to grow my experiance.

• Who am I?
    My name is Ramin.

• What is my experiance?
    <1 year of C/C++, boost, generic programming, algorithms.

• What am I doing right now?
    I’m studying even more algorithms and starting out in computer graphics.

• How active can I be?
    Since I’m studying, I cannot promise full availability, but I try my best :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Welcome and good luck. Do you plan using silverblue as your development platform

Thank you. Actually, I am just setting up my platform a laptop, and I would certainly like to know your opinion if I should use silverblue or not? However, personally I wasn’t really thinking about it.

It’s still bleeding edge. Your mileage will vary depending on your needs. TBH I thought this post was in the desktop silverblue channel lol.

Hey there! Just to awkwardly chime in, I’ve been running Silverblue on my laptop (that I also use for work & college) for a few months now, and it has some rough edges in the user-end experience but overall has been pretty stable. One advantage is that thanks to the immutable system it’s pretty resilient, you’d have to try hard to actually make it unbootable.

Hi @ramin! :wave: Thanks for introducing yourself.

You might be interested in the Fedora Quick Docs project. Quick Docs are how-to articles or tutorials for doing different things with Fedora. They are different from the release notes produced each release. See here for more info:

Awesome! Did you see our steps on how to join the CommOps team? You can look over some of our tickets and see if a task is interesting.

Also, check out this page on how to make your first steps in the Fedora community. :+1:

If you are setting up a Linux laptop for the first time and want to use Fedora, I suggest using Fedora Workstation. I think it’s best to start with the basics. I started using Fedora Workstation as my first Linux distribution and it helped me understand how Linux worked basically before I tried more advanced editions.

Hope to see you around in the community @ramin! :smile:

Thanks for the comprehensive introduction Justin. The links were of great help, and I’m starting to get involved more, as far as I believe :smile:

Cheers!

1 Like

I’m installing silverblue right now, workstation with KDE doesn’t work for me. I installed it 3-4 times, and every time something didn’t work.