Introduce yourself! (2023 Q1)

Hi Michael:

Welcome and sorry that your initial experience with Linux has been so poor. :confused:

Hardware issues are probably Linux’s biggest challenge. There is a lot of hardware out there that was not designed to work with Linux or FOSS but rather it is designed with specs that suit the company that paid the manufacturer to build the product.

Linux tries to keep up with the vast and ever changing hardware specifications, but it is not uncommon that it falls short in that area. FWIW, one “trick” I’ve found that works from time-to-time with hardware problems is to find the name of the device driver with lspci -v and then look for extra parameters that can be passed to the driver at load time using modinfo <driver name>. You can specify what options you want passed to the driver at load time by creating a file under /etc/modprobe.d (look at some of the other files for examples). Sometimes drivers can be unloaded and reloaded at runtime with rmmod <driver name> and modprobe <driver name>. But not always, you may have to reboot. Also, sometimes the solution is to update the device firmware (see fwupdmgr). And sometimes, certain hardware simply does not work with Linux. That’s about all I can suggest. Good luck and let us know if you figure out how to get your specific hardware to work so others who may be in the same situation might have some chance of finding the answer! :slightly_smiling_face:

BTW, if your sound card is using the snd-hda-intel driver (many do), you might want to look at this table of values that can be assigned to the model option: models.rst - Documentation/sound/hd-audio/models.rst - Linux source code (v6.1) - Bootlin

2 Likes

Hi Michael,

You should open a thread in https://discussion.fedoraproject.org/ → this page
is dedicated to solve such problems. You can use ask.fp generally if you
have any issues with or questions about your Fedora Linux (and
Silverblue and the other editions and spins :wink: ).

ask.fp and discussion.fp will be merged soon, but you can keep using
https://discussion.fedoraproject.org and once the pages have been merged, you
will be automatically forwarded.

Hopefully, our supporters at ask.fp can help you.

All the best & welcome to the community!

Chris

4 Likes

Good morning from Brazil.

I’m a chemist working at a water treatment company.
I’ve been using Linux since the 90’s and I’ve used pure Debian, Mandrake, Mandriva, RedHat and finally Fedora.
We have 3 servers here at the company and about 30 machines running Ubuntu.
Although it is not my profession, I started programming, initially creating in 2001 a system for the sales sector in Kylix, and today all sectors of the company, including the laboratories, run a module in Gambas created by me that work integrated in a system named “Cisne”.

I was also a KDE translator for Brazilian Portuguese for a few years.

Personally, I use Fedora on a laptop both at work and at home.

7 Likes

Bem vindo José no projeto do Fedora!
Mandriva was the first distribution I installed on a friends computer, It just worked and looked gorgeous. I was upset to see this distribution disappearing slowly. But now with fedora and the community everything is fine again :upside_down_face:

2 Likes

Thanks, Luciano.
I also miss some distros. I didn’t mention it above, but I used and installed the Kurumin distro, created by Morimoto, on many machines.
I was so grateful for his work that for a few years I dedicated myself to helping Kurumin users in a discussion forum also created by the same Morimoto.
And here I am again, already in my sixties and still willing to help those who dedicate time and effort on behalf of others and not aiming for profit.

3 Likes

Hello!
My first Linux distro came on 50 x 5.25" floppies. I’ve mainly used macOS for the last 20 years, dabbled in Linux distros.
I’ve been doing Data Science / AI (open to work!), and tried Pop!_OS that I really loved, but experienced “software rot” recently, so moved to Fedora 37. I miss the tiling window manager, but things are running smoothly.
I’ve been toying with Silverblue recently to help remedy the aforementioned software rot, but the overhead of getting VS Code, Emacs, Obsidian, etc. seems to be really high, or I don’t know enough about it. So, here to learn more!
Thanks for this community!

4 Likes

Welcome to Fedora, @johnatl ! :slightly_smiling_face:

You can install this by the use of rpm-ostree:

[piotr@fedora-37 ~]$ dnf search gnome-shell-extension-pop-shell
Last metadata expiration check: 11 days, 10:38:38 ago on Mon Jan 30 03:52:48 2023.
=========================================================================================== Name Exactly Matched: gnome-shell-extension-pop-shell ============================================================================================
gnome-shell-extension-pop-shell.noarch : GNOME Shell extension for advanced tiling window management
========================================================================================== Name & Summary Matched: gnome-shell-extension-pop-shell ===========================================================================================
gnome-shell-extension-pop-shell-shortcut-overrides.noarch : Shortcut overrides for gnome-shell-extension-pop-shell
2 Likes

This one? :
Fedora Spins | The Fedora Project

2 Likes

Thanks!
I happened to reboot for an OS update, and my beloved Pop!_OS tiler was there in Extension Manager in the menu bar.

4 Likes

Also, I must say it’s really encouraging to have two quick responses to my post.
I’ve been hoping to find a forum with the same “vibe” as the mac power users community.
Thanks again!

5 Likes

Hello! I’m a TMM at Red Hat and I’m pretty new to Fedora, but I’m interested in learning more and hoping to contribute some cool stuff soon :slight_smile:

5 Likes

Welcome! Nice to see you here! For folks who might not know… what is a TMM?

2 Likes

Welcome to the community John & Kaitlyn! Let us know if and when we can
help :slight_smile:

I have to admit, I do not know what a TMM is. My search engine says a
lot about TMM, but I guess “technical marketing manager” sounds most
reasonable?

1 Like

Fredrik from Sweden here :slight_smile:
Been using different distros on and off since 2010 or something like that, latest one before jumping back to Fedora 37 was Linux Mint.
But now im on Fedora Gnome and here, wanted to try another ecosystem

5 Likes

Welcome Fredrik! I have started my “distro hopping” with SuSE but except
for a short romance with Arch, I already found my home at Fedora in the
2000s, although with KDE and LXQt. I hope you like our ecosystem!

1 Like

Thanks Chris and Matt! Your search results are correct! A TMM is a technical marketing manager, my job is basically to create technical enablement content for OpenShift through blogs, videos, demos, partner content etc. to showcase what it has to offer. The intended audience for a TMM is for individuals who will actually be using the product, rather than those ~business folk~.

4 Likes

If you’re ever interested in contributing with the Fedora Marketing Team, just come say hi in our Matrix room!

3 Likes

Hey Everyone!!

I wanted to introduce myself to the fedora community. My name is Geoff Probst and I am a manager in the PMO function within the Services organization. I wanted to get connect to the community around this product and all of its current and future capabilities. Look forward to meeting and discussing a variety of topic in this space. And maybe at some point in time in the future be able to work with some of you on a project or two. Happy Hump Day in a short week!

10 Likes

Hi Geoff, welcome to Fedora.

2 Likes

Welcome aboard Geoff

2 Likes