Introduce yourself! (2020)

Continuing from Introduce yourself! (2019) - Fedora Discussion

Hi, My name is Octavius. I was once the emperor of Rome. I’ve been using Fedora since it was Fedora Core, and I still feel like I’m behind. how do you set the time on this darn machine?

5 Likes

Hello everyone, I am Tim. I’ve run Fedora on my notebook for the past three years. I’m an old guy, a retired IT professional. I worked with everything from huge IBM mainframes to “minicomputers” to large UNIX hosts to PCs. The bulk of my work was database administration with some systems and applications programming.

I enjoy using Fedora, and I hope I can contribute here.

3 Likes

Hello there,

my name is Joachim, I am from Germany, 51 years old and working with computers my whole life. On my job as a system administrator I mainly work with Windows, but my heart belongs to Linux. I have not that much of experience with Linux, but I am using it as my daily driver in private since 1,5 years now.

I hope to meet a lot of Linux enthusiasts, interesting people and to learn much more about this fascinating OS.

Bye for now,
Joachim

3 Likes

hello everyone, my name is Sunaina. i am from India. i am B.tech 3rd year student . i have done python and little bit of html .Now, i want to contribute in Fedora .

5 Likes

Hi - I am Uli und komme aus… live in beautiful BC.
In my professional life I have always tried to avoid the dark side of CS (MS) and started working with UNIX / Linux sometime during the last century with a distribution called CTIX.
Right now I am happily using Fedora 31 with KDE (as a former sunnie one of my first desktops was CDE and I could never leave it after SunView was abandoned).

4 Likes

Hello everyone,

I’m a regular Fedora user since Fedora 25. I love FOSS projects and I fell for Fedora the first time I heard about it.

Fedora Silverblue is the reason I’m joining this rapidly expanding community :wink:
I’ve been using it since F31 and I truly believe that this is the future of Linux desktop (for a start, maybe even Linux mobile)!

4 Likes

Hello!

I’m Marco, and it’s a year I am a Fedora user! I started peeking into this fantastic community, first into forums, then into the Telegram Group. Users have shown me many times that Fedora is not just a piece of software, it’s a community.

I am an Electronic Engineering student, also a pianist (I used to be a composer), a photography lover, FOSS enthusiast, and many other things. Currently learning coding as a hobby.

4 Likes

Hi!

I’m Mario from Argentina, I’m a passionate software developer and I’ve been playing with Fedora in the last 13 years. I think it’s time to start the amazing journey to contribute on open source projects and specially in Fedora because of these wonderful years.
The latest 3 years I’ve been working on full time Golang projects, so It’ll wonderful if you could give me to learn how could I find a project to contribute?
I’ll will love to “get some hands” on Silverblue, I know is a big project but I love it!

PD: As you might know, sorry about my English but it isn’t my fist language, I’ll be do my best effort … :smiley:

I hove I’ll learn and contribute on this wonderful community! :partying_face:

4 Likes

Hi, I’m Glenn, 45 and live in South Wales, UK.
I’ve used Linux on and off for well over 20 years now, can’t remember my first ever distro but I do remember Red Hat 5.2 as one, and Caldera OpenLinux haha. I remember back in the day preferring KDE1 to Gnome…and while it may be an unpopular opinion here, I refer Cinnamon to Gnome nowadays :smiley: We all have our own likes and dislikes right?? :smiley:
For the last few years I’ve used Arch and later Manjaro but no longer feel the need for ‘bleeding edge’ so Fedora Silverblue seems to fit my use case.
I like to make music, and all the software I use works just fine under Silverblue so all good here…Doesn’t help my atrocious singing though!

7 Likes

Hello everyone, my journey into linux started back in 2013 when I first installed Ubuntu and it would take me a a good two years since then to actually grasp what linux is about. I wish the process happened faster, but I was on by my own and honestly was a bit scared to tamper too much since everything from bios/uefi and gpt/mbr to apt sources not working hitting me all at once. Sure was a struggle which would have been easier if I had tried being part of a community.

Eventually I learn a bit or two about how linux works and can configure it to my liking now. Moving to arch and the arch wiki was very helpful. It was only early on this year that I got onto fedora from debian… I liked debian a lot but yea now I get why people complain about debian not having upto date software. Arch is good experimenting tool for me, debian for stability and fedora just sits in this sweet spot in between, perfect for daily usage. With Silverblue getting popularity… I am excited to be getting in here. Internet communities are fascinating and I have been sitting on the sidelines. Let’s start with Fedora then. Already imagining where this would take me in a years time.

Anyway if anyone has been reading this long, you might as well drop in a line? :slight_smile:

ps: would like to go by the name nC.

5 Likes

Welcome to Fedora Discussion, nC!

1 Like

Thank you @blueshurricane4! :smiley:
You have worked with mainframes wow! I would definitely want to do that someday.

1 Like

Hi everyone!
I am Akanksha Raghav currently pursuing B-Tech from India. I am a full stack web developer :woman_technologist:and Voice user interface developer :slightly_smiling_face:. I have build many voice applications for Alexa and Google assistant. I love contributing in open-source and happy to be here. Looking forward for a great experience with Fedora :v:.
Happy Learning.

4 Likes

Morning everyone:

I’m Matt Arnold a Software Engineer with about 3 professional experience but I’ve been hacking on open source since i got Freebsd cds for my 13th so about birthday so about 17 years now. Not quite a Hogwarts letter but it works. I recently switched to Fedora from a hybrid Debian/Slackware environment. And am now dipping my toes into the community.

Here’s some token emojis
:star: :cactus::cake:
/M

4 Likes

Hello Everyone.

I used to be a developer 15 years ago. I went heavy into the analysis/requirements side of the house. Now I’m a Manager over a development group. I am finding so much has changed since I was a developer. My inner developer is coming out strong after being repressed for so long. I once had Red Hat Linux but it didn’t last long. So, to refresh my knowledge, I’m diving deep into Java programming, Spring and Linux. I picked Fedora because we use Red Hat Servers. So much to get caught up on. As soon as I get my new hard drive, on goes Fedora. It looks good while running from a USB device.

3 Likes

Hi Everyone,

I’m developer in Red Hat. I’m more and more happy about how Fedora is working. I’m working on Anaconda. So if you have any installer related questions. Feel free to contact me ;). I also have a few packages in Fedora so I’m trying to help a bit there but not that much I would like to.
I love to play with the new technology and in Fedora I have unlimited sources to do that :smiley:.

4 Likes

Hey Folks;
My name is Joe and I frist became a member of Fedora way back in 2014, but haven’t
had the chance to speak up much till now. I’ve just installed SilverBlue 32 for the first time
and so far it rocks!!!
Joe

4 Likes

Hello all. I am excited to be part of the group. My name is Richard Gregory. I’m from Nigeria. I wish to contribute to Fedora. Thanks for having me :slight_smile:

5 Likes

Hello Everyone,

I’m Elliott and I’m a Linux engineer that works with RHEL and Fedora. I’m also interested in containers with Podman and IoT related stuff. You can find me on Ask, Discord, and IRC. Check my profile for my screen names there.

4 Likes

Hi all! I have a diverse career background, including things like forensic accounting and SEO. Now I’m working on a career shift into data science. I’m new to Linux, and found Fedora to work better on my laptop than Ubuntu, and I’m enjoying learning it all! Looking forward to taking back control of my computer!

4 Likes