How to acquire specific release of installed OS?

However, when reporting bugs on openSUSE Tumbleweed, I’d be able to easily extract the version I’m using from file:///etc/os-release, in the form of a versioned CPE OS name: cpe:/o:opensuse:tumbleweed:20230214. The Fedora 40 Beta provides this in the form of cpe:/o:fedoraproject:fedora:40, but that’s very non-specific - OSTW’s dated versions correlate to when its build server compiles its packages.

How might I acquire the same information, considering that it’s lacking from Fedora’s /etc/os-release?

Removed kde, kde-plasma, server

Tumbleweed and Fedora are versioned differently as is clear from your question.

Fedora is shown as CPE_NAME="cpe:/o:fedoraproject:fedora:39"in the os-release file but that is only part of the overall picture.
Version 39 has the release date when it was first released, then has many different package and kernel version updates throughout the 13 month cycle that it is supported. Thus a single date in that file would not have any bearing on the actual installed software versioning.

For example, F39 was released with kernel 6.5.6 and currently is running kernel 6.7.9 with 6.8.1 in testing and soon to be released. This is not the same as most LTS distros that try to maintain a single kernel version with minor security fixes for the whole time that version is supported. Other distros vary differently so comparing apples (tumbleweed) and oranges (Fedora) for versioning just does not work.

To report bugs on fedora you report the version of the OS, maybe the kernel version, and also the version of the package that the bug is reported against. Package versions are easily seen with the dnf or rpm commands and kernel version running is seen with the uname command.

2 Likes

@computersavvy, that’s at the least similar to OSTW, hence the request. Does Fedora’s build server dynamically release packages when each package’s new version is released, rather than in batches, then?

Packages seem to be somewhat bunched and released once a week, but overall with many different maintainers and many different products there appears to be no set schedule for releasing updates. Packages are updated, undergo testing, and when approved are released. This seems a continuous flow for the entire life cycle of fedora releases.

There is not a set schedule that I am aware of for bunching things together except for those items that contain many different pieces that are dependent upon each other such as libre-office, qemu, etc. Those are bunched and all the related pieces are released at the same time, but otherwise it is just a steady flow.

I did an update 2 days ago then there was more to update today. The user can choose to only do updates on their own schedule at a time of their choosing, but the updates in the repos do not seem bunched or batched that way.

1 Like

Indeed, @computersavvy, I too could update a small set of packages each day on OSTW, but approximately every few days, many packages would be updated and the version would be increased. It was useful as a way of trying to version the OS, but indeed didn’t state much inherently except that that package selection had been updated to at least the versions in that version-bump.

Does anyone here have a better way to summarise the state of the OS’s package selection newness?