Gnome-with-patches on sb

maybe a dumb question, but is it possible on silverblue to do that without making anything worse?

optimization

one reads good experiences on reddit (for example less noticeable mouse-lags under wayland on some systems).

if this works, are these patches gonna be put in F(SB) updates?

As I understand it, the fastest way to get this on Silverblue is to rebase to rawhide. Rawhide is notorious for breaking things, but with Silverblue you can always rollback or rebase back to Fedora 30 later. As I understand it, the patches are in the master branch upstream, which means they should be making it into Rawhide soon. If someone knows of a way to add COPR repos to Silverblue or something feel free to chime in, but from my (admittedly limited) knowledge Rawhide is the best way to get early updates on Silverblue.

thank you @leggettc18 - but better not. i took a look at rawhide a month ago. unfortunately my workflow was interrupted as well, because some shell extensions for 3.32 don’t work on rawhide - of course. i could also wait for the new “toolbox” version (“run” = great & the f-docs documentation/user guide/ troubleshooting-area too), so no end of the world. meanwhile i can even work on wayland; dash to panel had to be replaced by dash to dock & hide top bar.

it would still be cool if one could add this copr to sb, if the improvements are really so great… .

1 Like

I tried to just download the patched RPMs and use rpm-ostree override replace to see if I could install them, but ended up hitting an error during install.

error: Running %post for gnome-shell: Executing bwrap(/bin/sh): Child process killed by signal 1; run `journalctl -t 'rpm-ostree(gnome-shell.post)'` for more information

$ sudo journalctl -t 'rpm-ostree(gnome-shell.post)'
-- Logs begin at Fri 2018-11-16 15:38:02 EST, end at Tue 2019-06-11 10:12:06 EDT. --
Jun 11 10:11:52 mastershake.usersys.redhat.com rpm-ostree(gnome-shell.post)[2599]: Failed to set capabilities on file `/usr/bin/gnome-shell' (Operation not supported)
Jun 11 10:11:52 mastershake.usersys.redhat.com rpm-ostree(gnome-shell.post)[2599]: usage: setcap [-q] [-v] [-n <rootid>] (-r|-|<caps>) <filename> [ ... (-r|-|<capsN>) <filenameN> ]
Jun 11 10:11:52 mastershake.usersys.redhat.com rpm-ostree(gnome-shell.post)[2599]:  Note <filename> must be a regular (non-symlink) file.

To even get to this point, I used a container to pull down the RPMs with a little effort:

$ sudo podman run --rm -it -v /var/srv/shared:/host:z registry.fedoraproject.org/fedora:30
(container) # dnf install 'dnf-command(copr)'
(container) # dnf copr enable pp3345/gnome-with-patches
(container) # dnf --destdir /host download gnome-shell mutter
$ sudo rpm-ostree override replace /var/srv/shared/gnome-shell-3.32.2-2.2.fc30.pp3345.x86_64.rpm /var/srv/shared/mutter-3.32.2-1.3.fc30.pp3345.x86_64.rpm

I think the more successful route would be to create a local ostree compose of SB with these packages included.

@miabbott thx 4your tempt. a local ostree compose - do you mean per rpm-ostree compose tree ? i think this goes way beyond my abilities ;). but that can’t stop anyone else from trying. if this gnome-patch is really worth it.