Gnome Software doesn't start

Hi there,

I am running Fedora Silverblue 33. For some time now Gnome Software doesn’t start if the laptop has been running for a while, as a quick fix I can reboot the laptop after which Gnome Software works again.

The behaviour sounds similar to Gnome Software does not launch but I don’t have pcsc-tools installed and /etc/fwupd/daemon.conf is already at EnumerateAllDevices=false.

journalctl -f doesn’t show any logs in between an attempted start of Gnome Software and the message Timeout was reached.

Unfortunately I don’t know where or how to debug this issue further and would welcome some help.

Best regards,
Theo

Same issue here, also on Fedora 33.

Did you manage to solve your issue?

I can’t really say that I have - but the issue is solved for me.

What has changed? Nearly everything:

• I reinstalled Silverblue (as Rawhide) from scratch in order to change from an cryptsetup + lvm + ext4 setup to cryptsetup + btrfs
  • I lost most of my home directory due to me being stupid and not having cloud sync at the moment.
  • I learned how to use rpm-ostree reset and rpm-ostree and rebased from rawhide to Fedora 32 and again to Fedora 33 until gTile is available on Fedora 34.

Judging from that I would try wiping ~/.local and/or ~/.cache? In case you made important customizations I would back the folders up.

I would welcome the feedback if you stumple uppon a solution that goes into the right direction. In case switching to a fresh ~/.local and/or ~/.cache worked I would be interested in a more thorough investigation.

Thanks for the reply. I noticed that if I kill the gnome-software process, it will show correctly the next time I open it. I also had a lot of flatpak updates due to new nvidia drivers being released. I have the feeling it was somehow related…

I cannot deny it, but at least on my machine nvidia drivers could not have been the culprit - I got intel graphics on my machine.