Fedora 36: I can't open settings, and I can't update!

Earlier today, I was enjoying my weekend, and trying to listen to a video using my bluetooth headphones. It didn’t connect correctly, so I thought: “That’s okay, I’ll connect it using the bluetooth settings gui.” Alas, when I clicked “Bluetooth Settings” in the top right menu bar, the cursor implied that it was loading up the settings menu, but it never popped up. I then tried just opening up the settings app, but the same thing transpired: spinning cursor ending in nothing.

I then thought: “hmm, this is weird. maybe this a weird issue and they fixed this in a future update” so I opened up the terminal and typed in “sudo dnf update” and encountered an error:
Transaction test error:
file /usr/share/man/man5/cert9.db.5.gz from install of nss-3.83.0-1.fc36.i686 conflicts with file from package nss-3.81.0-1.fc36.x86_64
file /usr/share/man/man5/key4.db.5.gz from install of nss-3.83.0-1.fc36.i686 conflicts with file from package nss-3.81.0-1.fc36.x86_64
file /usr/share/man/man5/pkcs11.txt.5.gz from install of nss-3.83.0-1.fc36.i686 conflicts with file from package nss-3.81.0-1.fc36.x86_64
file /usr/share/doc/libsndfile/README from install of libsndfile-1.1.0-4.fc36.i686 conflicts with file from package libsndfile-1.0.31-7.fc36.x86_64

I also tried the Software app, and got the same issue, with the same error. I don’t know how to resolve this issue.

After typing this, I found this article on the forums about the same Transaction Test Error that I was dealing with.

I think I might just stick to weekly updates via the terminal, and avoid the automatic updates after shutdown. :neutral_face:

So to clarify, my system is, as of writing this, fully updated! But I can’t access any of my settings via the gui. It straight up won’t open.

from a terminal does gnome-control-center -v provide any additional information?

gnome-control-center: /usr/lib64/samba/libdcerpc-samba-samba4.so: version `SAMBA_4.16.4_SAMBA4' not found (required by /lib64/libsmbclient.so.0)
gnome-control-center: /usr/lib64/samba/libsecrets3-samba4.so: version `SAMBA_4.16.4_SAMBA4' not found (required by /lib64/libsmbclient.so.0)
gnome-control-center: /usr/lib64/samba/libsamba-debug-samba4.so: version `SAMBA_4.16.4_SAMBA4' not found (required by /lib64/libsmbclient.so.0)
gnome-control-center: /usr/lib64/samba/libsamba3-util-samba4.so: version `SAMBA_4.16.4_SAMBA4' not found (required by /lib64/libsmbclient.so.0)
gnome-control-center: /usr/lib64/samba/libgse-samba4.so: version `SAMBA_4.16.4_SAMBA4' not found (required by /lib64/libsmbclient.so.0)
gnome-control-center: /usr/lib64/samba/liblibcli-lsa3-samba4.so: version `SAMBA_4.16.4_SAMBA4' not found (required by /lib64/libsmbclient.so.0)
gnome-control-center: /usr/lib64/samba/libsamba-security-samba4.so: version `SAMBA_4.16.4_SAMBA4' not found (required by /lib64/libsmbclient.so.0)
gnome-control-center: /usr/lib64/samba/libmsrpc3-samba4.so: version `SAMBA_4.16.4_SAMBA4' not found (required by /lib64/libsmbclient.so.0)
gnome-control-center: /usr/lib64/samba/libreplace-samba4.so: version `SAMBA_4.16.4_SAMBA4' not found (required by /lib64/libsmbclient.so.0)
gnome-control-center: /usr/lib64/samba/libcli-smb-common-samba4.so: version `SAMBA_4.16.4_SAMBA4' not found (required by /lib64/libsmbclient.so.0)
gnome-control-center: /usr/lib64/samba/liblibsmb-samba4.so: version `SAMBA_4.16.4_SAMBA4' not found (required by /lib64/libsmbclient.so.0)

can you check and see if samba-client-libs are installed, if not try installing them.

Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/usr/lib/python3.10/site-packages/dnf/crypto.py", line 35, in <module>
    from gpg import Context
  File "/usr/lib64/python3.10/site-packages/gpg/__init__.py", line 123, in <module>
    from . import core
  File "/usr/lib64/python3.10/site-packages/gpg/core.py", line 10, in <module>
    from . import gpgme
  File "/usr/lib64/python3.10/site-packages/gpg/gpgme.py", line 13, in <module>
    from . import _gpgme
ImportError: /usr/lib64/python3.10/site-packages/gpg/_gpgme.cpython-310-x86_64-linux-gnu.so: undefined symbol: gpgme_op_receive_keys, version GPGME_1.0

During handling of the above exception, another exception occurred:

File "/usr/bin/dnf", line 61, in <module>
    from dnf.cli import main
  File "/usr/lib/python3.10/site-packages/dnf/__init__.py", line 30, in <module>
    import dnf.base
  File "/usr/lib/python3.10/site-packages/dnf/base.py", line 35, in <module>
    from dnf.db.history import SwdbInterface
  File "/usr/lib/python3.10/site-packages/dnf/db/history.py", line 28, in <module>
    from dnf.yum import misc
  File "/usr/lib/python3.10/site-packages/dnf/yum/misc.py", line 29, in <module>
    import dnf.crypto
  File "/usr/lib/python3.10/site-packages/dnf/crypto.py", line 38, in <module>
    import gpgme
ModuleNotFoundError: No module named 'gpgme'

What is that the output from?

Are you able to run dnf at all?

I ran sudo dnf search samba-client-libs

and I was able to run sudo dnf update a few hours ago and my computer hasn’t died yet

Can you check if gpgme is installed?

Thanks.

edit.

You may also want to do a sudo dnf distro-sync

Hello @thisistheinternet ,
There is also the ability to turn on debugging of your current gnome session to get better/more verbose log output. Use gnome-session --debug in a terminal then try to open the software gui.

sudo dnf search gpgme
[sudo] password for dee: 
    from gpg import Context
  File "/usr/lib64/python3.10/site-packages/gpg/__init__.py", line 123, in <module>
    from . import core
    from . import gpgme
    from . import _gpgme
ImportError: /usr/lib64/python3.10/site-packages/gpg/_gpgme.cpython-310-x86_64-linux-gnu.so: undefined symbol: gpgme_op_receive_keys, version GPGME_1.0

from dnf.cli import main
    import dnf.base
  File "/usr/lib/python3.10/site-packages/dnf/db/history.py", line 28, in <module>
    from dnf.yum import misc
    import dnf.crypto
    import gpgme
[dee@fedora ~]$ sudo dnf distro-sync
    from gpg import Context
    from . import core
    from . import gpgme
    from . import _gpgme

from dnf.cli import main
    import dnf.base
    from dnf.yum import misc
    import dnf.crypto
    import gpgme

I got gnome-session --debug running, and when i tried to start the Settings gui, there was no new information in the terminal

You may have to retrive Python module ‘gpgme’ on the internet or pip.

How would one do that? I’ve never had to do this process before.

It should make the logging for your gnome session more detailed so you can use the log viewer in gnome DE to diagnose.

1 Like

Using dnf the command from the terminal would be sudo dnf install gpgme

sudo dnf install gpgme gives me this:

from gpg import Context
    from . import core
    from . import gpgme
    from . import _gpgme

from dnf.cli import main
    import dnf.base
    from dnf.yum import misc
    import dnf.crypto
    import gpgme
1 Like

Try sudo dnf list installed gpg* and see if gpgme is already installed.

Did you do anything that you have not already stated above since the last time you successfully ran dnf?

What happens if you run sudo dnf --refresh distro-sync ?

Here is an official link to download :
https://gnupg.org/download/index.html