"dnf update" Transaction test error

Hello,

I’m getting a transaction test error. This is most likely due to an interrupted update (through the “update and shut down” prompt), though I am not entirely sure about it.

Error: Transaction test error:
  file /usr/share/doc/gstreamer1/NEWS from install of gstreamer1-1.20.3-1.fc36.i686 conflicts with file from package gstreamer1-1.20.0-1.fc36.x86_64
  file /usr/share/doc/gstreamer1/RELEASE from install of gstreamer1-1.20.3-1.fc36.i686 conflicts with file from package gstreamer1-1.20.0-1.fc36.x86_64
  file /usr/share/man/man1/gdk-pixbuf-query-loaders.1.gz from install of gdk-pixbuf2-2.42.8-3.fc36.i686 conflicts with file from package gdk-pixbuf2-2.42.8-1.fc36.x86_64
  file /usr/share/doc/libwebp/AUTHORS from install of libwebp-1.2.3-1.fc36.i686 conflicts with file from package libwebp-1.2.2-4.fc36.x86_64
  file /usr/share/doc/libwebp/NEWS from install of libwebp-1.2.3-1.fc36.i686 conflicts with file from package libwebp-1.2.2-4.fc36.x86_64

“dnf clean all” doesn’t fix the problem, same error reappears after “dnf update”

I tried the “dnf distro-sync” command suggested here, but I get this error:

Error: 
 Problem: The operation would result in removing the following protected packages: NetworkManager

Thank you

Try removing the i686 versions of those packages which is what causes the error. Dnf should tell you if there is a requirement for the i686 version when you attempt the removal.

dnf remove gstreamer1*i686* is one example of removing the i686 package.

You might also note that it is attempting to install the i686 package with a newer version number than the currently installed x86_64 version of that package.

Users should always be cautious to never interrupt an update process. The automatic update during shutdown seems to present a lot of opportunity for interruption when a user is hurried and inattentive.

1 Like

Hello Jeff,

Thanks for the help, I managed to remove the three conflicting packages (their i686 version as you suggest). I was reluctant to do that fearing i’d break something even more, but it seems to have worked out fine.

Yes this is what happened, I was rushing to pack my laptop, I waited a bit for the update to be done, but I had to leave, so I packed and left, hoping the battery would get it through the update process. I am not sure if it did, it probably didn’t (battery is not in great condition).

1 Like