Article Proposal: Deploying Fedora IoT for Podman Containers

Recently I deployed Fedora IoT to a Raspberry Pi and found that the documentation was not very clear. For example it says to use an Ignition file yet doesn’t explain how to get the image on the SD card to look for the Ignition file.

I’d recommend an article(s) on steps needed to get Fedora IoT deployed and running on a RasPi. It would highlight the following:

• Using fedora-arm-image-installer to flash the SD card
  • Registering the device to Zezere
  • Pushing out the ssh key with Zezere
  • Using an Ansible Playbook to configure the OS post login

Then cover deploying a rootless container with Podman on said FIoT image to highlight some of the following:

• Using Podman to deploy a rootless container
  • Using Podman to generate a systemd unit
  • Using userspace systemd units (i.e. systemctl --user) to enable / disable and control the container
  • Using Podman auto-update
1 Like

Is this a topic you can write, or learn enough to do so?

OMG. I can totally write it. No screenshots either.

Actually it’s all stuff I’ve figured out and I’ve done already. At one point I thought about just writing it all and dropping on your lap to publish.

That’s awesome. Here’s the process for getting started as a writer:

https://docs.fedoraproject.org/en-US/fedora-magazine/contributing/

1 Like

+1 from me! I can’t wait for the article!

Hey there! We definitely need this one :wink:

fyi: By now there is also [Article Proposal] Migrate containers from Raspbian to Fedora IoT using [...] released on the magazine which highlights simple transition problems from Raspberry Pi OS to Fedora Linux. It also gives a simple example on podman + systemd usage for a rootfull single-container setup

Hello @alph4num3ric , I’ve created Pagure issue (card) #47 to track your article.

Please follow all of the directions found at
https://docs.fedoraproject.org/en-US/fedora-magazine/writing-an-article/
except for the KanBan part (Pagure will replace that). We are using Pagure to track and comment on the article as it progresses and to answer questions from the authors, from time to time. It is a handy way of keeping track of the article progress for both the authors and the editors. Also a good place to ask for help about specifics of what you are writing if needed.

This is a change from the previous process since Taiga is being decommissioned.

You may be required to login to Pagure. Your FAS account should allow that. Please let us know when you do and we will assign the article to you.

The editors will move the card to “in progress” once you start writing the article. Please let us know by commenting on the issue (card) in Pagure.

After you have completed the article, and feel it is ready for review, please add a comment to the card so the editors know to move it to the Review column.

The editorial board meets weekly (Thursday’s at 1500 UTC) at #fedora-meeting channel on libera.chat (irc), and will review the article in the “review” status at that time and decide if it is ready for publishing or not. If publishing is decided, then an Editor and Image creator are assigned (often the same person) and the article gets scheduled. If the editors feel the article needs more work, it will be moved back to the in progress column, and the author will be informed of the reason(s), usually with helpful suggestions on what needs some more work.