Xorg is very out of date but wayland not default

yesterday I upgrade F35 to F37, I found F37 default Xorg not Wayland, after some investigation,I comment two line in file /usr/lib/udev/rules.d/61-gdm.rules:

#IMPORT{program}=“/bin/sh -c ‘echo NVIDIA_RESUME=systemctl is-enabled nvidia-resume’”
#ENV{NVIDIA_RESUME}!=“enabled”, GOTO=“gdm_disable_wayland”

then use dracut to rebuild boot img, finally the default gnome option in gdm will lead to wayland choice, I wonder why wayland still not default in F37, maybe someone encounter possible problem when use wayland, but wayland works well in my laptop without big barriers.
xorg-x11-xserver package in fedora office repository is very out of date, still version 1.20.14 but latest version already 21.1.7. will fedora plan to upgrade the version of xorg to the newest, I wonder why not pack the newest ?

It is, this changes must have been something you made or has been made because of your drivers.

We are close to the release of F38. Such big changes are generally made with a version change and not in between.

Unlikely to happen in F38 since we are beyond Beta Freeze, see Fedora Linux 38 Schedule: Key

See also xorg-x11-server-Xorg - Fedora Packages and xorg-x11-server | Package Info | koji - there are no 1.21 builds. Rawhide is shipping 1.20.x too.

1 Like

The issue list is also quite long.
Issues · xorg · GitLab

On a fresh install, Wayland is the default. However, you upgrade an Xorg configuration. Apparently, the upgrade leaves that configuration intact. You are free to log in to a Wayland session and continue using that if it goes well.

Note also that for some specific graphics cards, Xorg remains the default. Could be the case for your Nvidia.

1 Like

I think you may be confusing version numbers.
My system has this

xorg-x11-server-Xorg.x86_64                             1.20.14-18.fc37                                   @updates                  
xorg-x11-server-Xwayland.x86_64                         22.1.8-1.fc37                                     @updates                  
xorg-x11-server-common.x86_64                           1.20.14-18.fc37                                   @updates

Note the versions for xorg-x11-server are not coinciding between the Xorg and Xwayland packages. They are not required to match since they support different DE environments.

As noted, when a user chooses to log in using xorg that choice remains in effect until the user selects to switch the DE with another log in. The user selects the DE when they log in (or by default allows it to remain as previously selected).