The Websites and Apps team is in the early stages of a websites revamp. At this time we are deciding how we are going to set up and maintain our community’s websites in the future.
We are deciding between ReactJS and VueJS as the two leading frameworks that we want to use. However there are lots out there and we want to put this to some community discussion.
Content regarding pros and cons between different frameworks can be outlined in the following discussion, however some important questions for this decision are:
- Will this technology be relevant in 5 years?
- Will this improve our front-end development potential? --how?
- WIll new contributors be able to get involved? – how will we manage the learning curve?
- Will this choice empower contributors with greater front-end dev skills?
- How does this effect the maintainability of our code base?
- What limitations will be caused by this technology?
- How much work will be needed to maintain this?
Our goal with this thread is to determine the best approach moving forward, to gain an understanding of how we should approach building training materials, things that we should watch out for, and of course, for people who would be interested in working with us on this!