Based on a bit of preliminary research, it seems to have something to do with the package (and dependencies) ffmpeg either being misconfigured, disabled, or not installed.
A common solution for this issue seems to be installing the Firefox flatpak (which I can confirm works), but the flatpak version of Firefox does not have things like touchpad gestures enabled by default, and I was unable to configure the flatpak version to mimic the one installed by default.
Any help with configuring Firefox or installing the needed packages is greatly appreciated. Thank you!
We do not know anything about the system.
Please post the output of inxi -Fzxx so we can see what hardware and drivers are in use. This sounds like it may be a video driver or codec issue but we need more info to know.
I would suggest that you install
libavcodec-freeworld & ffmpeg as well as libheif-hevc.
This would need to be done in 3 steps. dnf install libheif-hevc dnf swap libavcodec-free libavcodec-freeworld dnf swap ffmpeg-free ffmpeg
Sorry, that was a typo above and has been fixed.
It was meant to be libheif-hevc and is available from rpmfusion.
I would not suggest having any of the testing repos enabled for long periods unless you intend to always test new packages as soon as they are available and maybe even while bugs exist before they are released.
Use dnf repolist as suggested to see what is enabled on your system.
I’ve followed the instructions provided to install the following packages:
I receive a broken packages warning when running the following commands:
dnf swap libavcodec-free libavcodec-freeworld
Problem: problem with installed package libavformat-free-6.0-4.fc38.x86_64
- package libavformat-free-6.0-2.fc38.x86_64 requires libavcodec-free(x86-64) = 6.0-2.fc38, but none of the providers can be installed
- package libavformat-free-6.0-4.fc38.x86_64 requires libavcodec-free(x86-64) = 6.0-4.fc38, but none of the providers can be installed
- conflicting requests
dnf swap ffmpeg-free ffmpeg
Problem: problem with installed package libswscale-free-6.0-4.fc38.x86_64
- package ffmpeg-libs-6.0-6.fc38.x86_64 conflicts with libswscale-free provided by libswscale-free-6.0-4.fc38.x86_64
- package ffmpeg-libs-6.0-6.fc38.x86_64 conflicts with libswscale-free provided by libswscale-free-6.0-2.fc38.x86_64
- package ffmpeg-6.0-6.fc38.x86_64 requires ffmpeg-libs(x86-64) = 6.0-6.fc38, but none of the providers can be installed
- conflicting requests
I am digging around in the Firefox UI and have found the following in the Add-ons Manager: