User login screen "freezing"

Hi. I recently installed Fedora Workstation on my laptop and I’m facing a problem: whenever the credentials screen appears (i.e. after a restart) screen turns grey after I enter my password and I can only see the mouse pointer (sometimes I can move it like at 2 fps), then after a while it returns to the password asking screen. For some reason the third time I enter my credentials, things work properly and I can use everything normally.
I’m using GNOME Shell 45.2 and Fedora 39

Please provide Laptop Make/Model/GPU so we can further help. Could/Sounds like a driver issue.

I’m using an Acer model A515-54G-something
Intel(R) Core™ i5-10210U CPU @ 1.60GHz

igorzig13@fedora-gq8h1atr:~$ lspci -n -n -k | grep -A 2 -e VGA -e 3D
00:02.0 VGA compatible controller [0300]: Intel Corporation CometLake-U GT2 [UHD Graphics] [8086:9b41] (rev 02)
Subsystem: Acer Incorporated [ALI] Device [1025:1345]
Kernel driver in use: i915

02:00.0 3D controller [0302]: NVIDIA Corporation GP108M [GeForce MX250] [10de:1d13] (rev a1)
Subsystem: Acer Incorporated [ALI] Device [1025:1345]
Kernel driver in use: nouveau
igorzig13@fedora-gq8h1atr:~$ glxinfo | grep -e OpenGL.vendor -e OpenGL.renderer
OpenGL vendor string: Intel
OpenGL renderer string: Mesa Intel(R) UHD Graphics (CML GT2)

While trying to gather this info system crashed, I had time to check system monitor and CPU usage had 100% usage peaks

Would you consider installing the Nvdidia driver or is it intended to run the open source Nouveau driver? There should be an option for you to add the repo and install the driver from Software Center.

Could you please give some more info on how do I do that? Until yesterday I was using the KDE Spin and never had to worry about NVIDIA drivers, tbh I don’t even know if I was using the MX250 or just the Intel graphics.

alright, this should be straight forward. I cannot test this for you because I have my GPU disabled.

Let’s start : Super key + type Software

from the Software Center go to the Hamburger menu

Scroll down untill you see enable Nvidia Non free driver

You can then, update the system and this should install the Nvidia driver. reboot the machine.

2 Likes