Tips for installing on raspberry pi 4

Hello,

When it is released in stable version, I would like to install Fedora 37 on a raspberry pi 4. The small subtlety is that I would like to install and boot Fedora on an external SSD connected to a USB 3 port of the raspberry pi 4.
Do you have any tutorials and/or advice to help me successfully install it?

Thanks !

Use the aarch64 image on one USB device to install to the desired USB device then use it to boot. Should be fairly simple.

I have not tried F37 on anything but the SD card, but the RPi4 is capable of booting from USB as long as no SD card is inserted.

Great! I’ll try and give a feed back as soon as possible.

Thanks!

I’m not sure whether this is about server for a headless project or workstation, which brings support of a sorts for the rpi4 with 37, which isn’t out yet. Neither am I certain what image Jeff is referring to but it sounds like a live installer image? Fedora Workstation | The Fedora Project When I tried a prior version of Fedora server on an rpi3 I followed Fedora on Raspberry Pi :: Fedora Docs among others and used the arm-image-installer application to write a boot-ready system (not installer) to a USB stick with the help of the raw image.
(The RPI3s can boot from a USB device as well, with the caveat that depending on what you will be subjecting it to the USB2 port can be limiting. It hasn’t been for me but mileages vary wildly ).

I’ve not tried it on an SSD though, merely a USB mem stick (one of the models mentioned by the RPI foundation), I don’t know how it would make a difference but that doesn’t mean that there isn’t one.

(I was recently a bit curious about the coming support of the rpi4 for a lower-power browser, media player and coding machine but the

The hardware based media decoding (H264/HVEC etc) are our of scope for this change.
Changes/RaspberryPi4 - Fedora Project Wiki

made it less suitable for my personal purposes.)

Indeed I did not specify it but I intend to install the Workstation version.

Right. Well there’s the option of restoring the Live ISO and target a USB SSD with it I suppose, or use the raw image.

( Be sure you don’t need youtube and other h264 / etc played back at any kind of resolution, An Early Look at Fedora Linux 37 on Raspberry Pi 4 - 9to5Linux )