Reset my BIOS to factory defaults and now Fedora isn't listed as a boot option

I attempted to install a BIOS update on my ThinkPad T14s Gen 4 through Windows, as I thought that was going to be the most painless solution. The update was failing, so I thought that resetting BIOS to factory defaults could help. Long story short, it was one of the biggest mistakes of my life! Not really. But man is it inconvenient to not have a working system right now.

Fedora got deleted as a boot option in the BIOS, and I’ve spent hours at this point trying to recover it. I’ve managed to chroot into my install with a live image, reinstall GRUB, regenerate the GRUB config, and use efibootmgr to add Linux back. Nothing so far had worked, reinstalling and regenerating GRUB did absolutely nothing. I’ve tried to run efibootmgr -c --disk /dev/nvme0n1 --part 7 (my root partition is nvme0n1p7, hopefully this command is correct), which added a Linux boot option, but it does nothing – it immediately kicks me back to the boot menu and is skipped in the boot order entirely.

At this point, I am pretty hopeless as to what should I actually do or if there’s any solution. I would very much like to avoid having to reinstall the system, so I would immensely appreciate any help you can give me. Thank you.

Some updates: The EFI partition gets mounted as readonly for some reason, which means that GRUB can’t generate a config or a functional Fedora shim.efi file - there are some Fedora files, but the main fedora folder appears to be missing. I can’t seem to modify the contents at all no matter what I do. This leads me to believe that the efi partition is corrupted, which could’ve easily happened, as I haven’t always unmounted it properly.

Honestly not sure if reinstall isn’t the easiest option at this point. Would still appreciate suggestions, will probably reinstall tomorrow otherwise.

If you have not already tried it: booting the Fedora 39 Workstation installer should allow you to see the filesystems on your boot drive and attempt to repair the boot partition.

1 Like

Thanks for the reply, this is helpful to know for the future. …I already gave up and reinstalled the system though. :frowning: Took the opportunity to get rid of my Windows partition as I haven’t booted it in weeks, so it wasn’t all for nothing!

Glad you have Fedora working. Today, Linux is quite reliable, but in the past crashes with Unix and Linux were more frequent and it was not unusual for a crash to result in a read-only corrupt filesystem. Standard operating procedure was to copy important files to another drive and then attempt repair, but sometimes you ended up with a disk full of recovered files but missing directories. Restoring backups meant mounting the last full backup tape and then the past week or two of incremental backup tapes. I don’t miss that.