Draft doc and policy:
The Fedora Chat service consists of two separate namespaces, :fedoraproject.org and :fedora.im. All Fedora Project members can log into https://chat.fedoraproject.org/ using their Fedora Account credentials, and get Matrix account in the :fedora.im space. For example,
The :fedoraproject.org space is reserved, and used for administrative accounts only.
Rooms in the :fedoraproject.org space are official Fedora communications channels. These are organized into various categories by consensus of the Fedora Matrix SIG – these categories are “Spaces” in Matrix terminology.
If you want a new official room for your Fedora team, group, or project please follow [procedure to be developed]. Teams may also ask for a new official Space to group multiple related channels.
Any Fedora member may create unofficial spaces in the :fedora.im space.
- These rooms and spaces cannot overlap with the names of official spaces, and we reserve the right to replace any unofficial space with an official one if the need arises.
- These rooms and spaces should relate to Fedora activities and the Fedora Project’s mission.
- All activity in such rooms and spaces is still subject to the Fedora Code of Conduct, and our general principles of being excellent to each other.
- Along those lines, remember that these rooms are “federated” — that is, shared to other servers and users in the Matrix network. When creating a name in our name space, even the “unofficial” one, or communicating in such a room, your choices reflect on all of us.
- When choosing room names, please be aware of the flat namespace; don’t pick something too generic. We may reserve particular names, either in advance or later.
- The Fedora Matrix Team may decide to remove unofficial rooms and spaces for a variety of reasons, including but not limited to non-compliance with the above.
An unoffical room can be a good way to start toward having an official one! [Procedure to be developed.]
Fedora members may also create private Spaces to organize their own view. See [doc link to come when spaces exits beta] for more about this feature.
We can’t control what rooms people create on matrix.org or other Matrix servers. Rooms on these servers are not official, but must follow the Fedora Trademark Guidelines for Community Sites and Accounts in order to use “Fedora” in their names.
Policies related to bridging are still to be determined. It may be that we end up with a policy distinction between :fedoraproject.org and :fedora.im. If so, that distinction will be documented here.
What do you think?