Proposal: Try GNOME 40 using COPR

I want to highlight the wonderful work of Felix Haecker with the GNOME 40 COPR, It will also give users an opportunity to try the new designs. I’m writing a draft, I’ll post it here once I’m done

1 Like

I used the repo, and as it says on the cover, it is very experimental. It doesn’t contain the gnome-control-centre package which means that “settings” will not open at all. So, at one point, I couldn’t share my screen on Google meet, for example: because the settings daemon would not open. See this issue:

I’m really not sure if this COPR should be publicised to users on the Magazine. I’d at least ask Felix first before publicising it. The repo has a very clear warning:

WARNING

THIS REPO IS UNSTABLE. THERE’S A HIGH RISK THAT YOU WILL BREAK YOUR SYSTEM WITH IT. DON’T USE IT EXCEPT YOU KNOW HOW TO RECOVER A BROKEN SYSTEM!!!

I’d rather see people trying GNOME 40 via the upcoming Beta release instead.

3 Likes

Yeah, I think this is a great idea, but at this point, full steam ahead on Beta. (I, for one, am already running the pre-release on both of my main systems.)

1 Like

+1

I’m on Beta too, and the good thing there is that the full Gnome stack is being updated together so everything works as expected in the right configuration. With the COPR, only a few packages are updated so that doesn’t necessarily reflect the complete Gnome 40 experience.