So… Site merge into Fedora Discussion – coming soon for real! should be soon. Hopefully before the end of the year.
When that happens, Ask Fedora will slot in on https://discussion.fedoraproject.org like this:
… with, of course, subcategories under that. 
Practical Thing One: Naming
I’m going to make this one a poll.
- Ask Fedora
- Ask Fedora (Get Help!)
- Ask Fedora (User Questions and Support)
- Something else… [Please give your ideas below]
- I don’t care, but I like to vote!
Practical Thing Two: What to do with language subcategories?
I don’t think we really came to a complete consensus with previous discussion here: This site’s categorization by language doesn’t seem to be useful. (See the poll in particular.) So, recognizing that it is not perfect, I’d like to suggest we go ahead with merging non-english languages into one “Ask in Any Language” category.
Does anyone very strongly believe that this is the wrong move, enough that I should stop and re-evaluate? If so, please let me know here (or offline if you prefer).
After the merge, we will have access to the Discourse Translations plugin. We’ll need to find one of Google, Microsoft, Amazon, or possibly IBM to donate access to their translation API, but we can probably do that.
Also: if we’re okay with this, I’d like to go ahead and merge the categories here before merging. This will make the migration significantly less complicated.
Practical Thing Three: Other categories
Common Issues — With the Enterprise license, we can have three-level category hierarchies, so we ca move this and its existing categories wholesale. I think it makes sense to keep this as a subcategory of Ask rather than making it its own top-level. Let me know if you strongly disagree.
Announcements — made redundant with the News & Announcements - Fedora Discussion. I don’t think we need to migrate existing posts, or even have a special tag or new subcategory related to Ask. (Or do we?)
Site Feedback — ditto; other site has Site Help & Feedback - Fedora Discussion. I also don’t think we need to migrate existing posts.
Lounge and Staff — see discussion on this here. I think the way it’s going is that we’ll have a category for admins, mods, and TL3 and TL4 users, and that category should be used just for coordination and questions around moderation situations (like, what to do about a spam attack, etc.).
New Users! Start Here! — I’m unsure. I like the idea, but too many top level categories can be overwhelming, and there is overlap with Site Help & Feedback. I guess it’s poll time again!
- Made into an equivalent new top-level category on Fedora Discussion
- Brought over as a subcategory of Ask on Fedora Discussion
- Dropped as redundant with Site Help & Feedback
- Don’t care, but here’s a vote!
Practical Thing Four: Mods and Admins
We could definitely use more mods on the merged site — and our hosting plan will allow an unlimited number. My thought is:
- Moderators here who want to be mods on Discussion can be mods there too. 
- Alternately, you can just be added as moderator for the Ask category as per-category mods
- Or for Ask in English / Ask in Other Languages, if you prefer smaller scope
- We could also use more moderators. Just something to think on
Practical Thing Five: Trust Levels
Should Trust Level carry over? I assume that some amount of the activity that the auto-promotion will rely on will be lost. But we could manually bump people up. Should we?
- Clean slate! Start over for everyone.
- Raise accounts on Discussion to at least the TL they have here.
- Raise accounts to at least TL1, so no one is stuck at “newbie”.
- Make TL4 on Discussion automatically
- Make TL4 on Discussion by request
- Leave at TL3 (or whatever, if we go clean slate), re-follow normal procedure for promotion
As always, this is a “straw poll” to get a read of what everyone is thinking, rather than a binding vote. Let me know your thoughts!
What else do we need to consider?