Practical questions for the site merge: user trust levels, categories, and tags

I was mostly thinking of the manual TL4 users, but then threw in the rest. Good point that it should Just Work.

I am primarily implementing it by paying CDCK (the company behind Discourse) to do it as part of the enterprise contact. I assume it will look something like that.

Oh, I thought the support had been accepted, but I was wrong. It’s a fork:

1 Like

Ah, this is collecting specs to ask then to implement, got it.

The script/bulk_import/discourse_merger.rb at a quick glance clearly has some badge and group merging code; it might already just do this?

2 Likes

It is this way to let everyone, as well as in a chat, go through.
I do not doubt that most people are helped but I also have to read a lot of what I am not interested.

No you don’t.
If the title does not catch your interest then skip it.

If you choose to read it then sure, you may not find the content interesting, but all of us experience the same.

I read the title, then read those that interest me, and reply where I feel I have something valuable to contribute. This is just the nature of a forum and is not exclusively a plus or minus for discourse itself. The same exists on almost every forum around.

1 Like

If Discourse allow us to set a default language filter, it can be set to English, and all language posts can be keep in the same category.

If a default language filter is not possible, then yes, one for English, and one for Others.

2 Likes

If everything will be migrated over to the merged site, then no need to maintain the old site.

1 Like

Will the name of the category also appear in the full length under the title (before the tags)?

Example :

This would look ugly on mobile devices, it would take a lot of space where we could use for meaningful tags.

In this case just “Ask Fedora” with the 782378652ab04ef889edb712a8b77a2ea5bda66c.png in front would make more sense, right?

1 Like

Yes, that’s a good point. I’ll make sure to see how it looks. Good news is that the name isn’t a real commitment, because it’s the short “slug” that is the main identifier, and that will just be #ask.

1 Like