Power off, Restart

Since I started using Fedora powering off or doing a restart was a three mouse click operation. Starting with F31, as I recall, it bacame a four mouse click operation. First click to get the System Menu, Second click to expand the system menu to show the Power Off / Log Out choices, Third click to select the desired choice. The the fourth click to confirm the choice selected.

There is plenty of room on the system menu to show the Power Off / Log Out choices on that panel. The second click seems unnecessary and waists time and a click. I think everyone evolved with Fedora gets to click enough during a typical day. When I’m doing testing or configuring PCs for use I do lots of restarts and find the extra click annoying.

1 Like

This is a GNOME issue, rather than a Fedora issue. It was also discussed here before:

BTW I don’t use GNOME at the moment but I totally understand you.

2 Likes

I know it’s part of Gnome. I may post an issue their. I brought this up here as a small measure to see if anyone else in Fedora has this issue. Thanks for the link to the assortment of workarounds. I was thinking of doing something like a menu item to send the reboot command. It’s a bit sad though when users have to invent and implement workarounds for such things. Someone spent their valuable time re-configuring the system menu to make it like it is. I am curious to understand what the motivation was to make it like it is.

1 Like

I am curious to understand what the motivation was to make it like it is.

I think GNOME developers are the right people to discuss this design choice. There is also this extension if you like:

2 Likes