Playing Videos (Videos app, VLC)

Hi all,

On Asahi, whenever I play videos (avi, mp4 etc.) there is discernible blur in movement on screen. It could be a person walking or a person gesturing while talking; in both cases, the limb movements are blurry. This is the case in the pre-installed Videos app and also on VLC, which I installed. (Videos are local.)

Is this about codecs, hardware acceleration, or some other necromancy?

Thanks.

Aubrey

There is no video codec hardware acceleration yet, that is being actively worked on.
avi and mp4 are container formats encasing the coded video, and are likely not the issue here.
Can you attach the output of ffprobe -loglevel debug [path/to/vid.mp4]?
Are all videos blurry? Are they not blurry when played on other apps (e.g. ffplay, firefox), including QuickTime on macOS?
Edit: can you upload the video file somewhere if possible?

Hi Eileen,

Thanks for chipping in. The file is circa 500mb, so too large to upload, I’m afraid. But below is the output to the ffprobe command you mentioned:

Duration: 01:31:09.04, start: 0.000000, bitrate: 729 kb/s
Stream #0:0, 41, 1/25: Video: mpeg4, 1 reference frame (DX50 / 0x30355844), yuv420p(left), 512x384 [SAR 1:1 DAR 4:3], 0/1, 623 kb/s, 25 fps, 25 tbr, 25 tbn
Metadata:
title : Main
Stream #0:1, 87, 1/12000: Audio: mp3 (U[0][0][0] / 0x0055), 48000 Hz, stereo, fltp, 96 kb/s
Metadata:
title : Audio - en
[AVIOContext @ 0xaaab44464870] Statistics: 4571680 bytes read, 4 seeks

I have no idea what any of it means, of course. Can you decode it?

As to your other question, yes, that AVI file (and all other video files) play smoothly on macOS.

Many thanks.

MPEG-4 Part 2 (the video’s codec/compression scheme identified by ‘DX50’) is not one of the patented codecs that Fedora disables (Tree - rpms/ffmpeg - src.fedoraproject.org). There’s some minor conflicts on Fedora regarding the patented codecs (H.264/5) but this one is not one of them, so there shouldn’t be any issues with software decode. Note that there is no hardware support for MPEG-4 at all, so macOS/QuickTime uses software decode too.

But I cannot tell whether the video can be decoded without the source file. Please drop by on Matrix (You're invited to talk on Matrix or https://matrix.to/#/#asahi:fedoraproject.org) or some other public file uploading site. I really need more information here. ‘Blur on movement’ sounds like a classic inter-frame decoding error/delay, but I can’t tell much more.

And, to clarify, can you reproduce the issue when using ffplay or mpv? The blurriness could also come from VLC’s overhead, and the two I listed are the “lighter” media players (ffplay should already be installed).