Keyboard setup

Hello everyone, this is kind of a silly one. For my laptop wich is AZERTY(French) I have 2 options that are shown (on the bottom right, French and U.S.), I can switch between them but on each startup it is automatically on the US format, in the settings I can’t find when to disable the U.S. one. Can anyone guide me to where the setting is? Basically in short i would like only the french layout.

Which desktop environment are you using?

There is a global keyboard setting which you set by the localectl command. The syntax is

localectl set-x11-keymap LAYOUT [MODEL [VARIANT [OPTIONS]]]

where […] encloses optional options

To show the available options, run the commands

localectl list-x11-keymap-models   
localectl list-x11-keymap-layouts  
localectl list-x11-keymap-variants 
localectl list-x11-keymap-options  

In addition, there is a per-user keyboard setting which you set up using the setting form the particular desktop environment.

so @bluesdam I am running fedora 44 Im not sure that is what you are asking and @vekruse I don’t have any idea what those commands do…

But I feel like you are both going to in depth for something so simple… Is there a way from the system settings that I didn’t find maybe?

Your system settings depend on which desktop environment you are using. Linux isn’t like Windows, it has different flavors of desktops. Each of them have a different setting layout, so it’s kind of difficult to help without knowing which one you have.

For example, I use Gnome (Fedora Workstation) and for me it’s in “Settings > Keyboard”. That’s where I have all my layouts listed and also where I can change their priority etc. But if you are using KDE Plasma it would look very different.

For me it looks like this.

To help on Plasma it looks like this:

To be clear the location for KDE is ** “Settings > Keyboard”**

Ooohh…!! Ok! Then I have KDE Plasma

The set the keyboard type for everybody. Each user can set a different keyboard setting in the respective settings for the desktop environment only. The login screen will not be affected when you set the keyboard type in for example Gnome or KDE.

To set the french keyboard for you login screen, run

localectl set-x11-keymap fr

For mor information, run man localectl.