Installing Wine?

How do I go about installing Wine in Silverblue? using rpm-ostree install wine gets me:

error: Checkout openal-soft-1.18.2-6.fc29.i686: Hardlinking 43/f83b81536c9aa43d97296a80aabfa3f4689dfc9f6c468f6c495136193438c4.file to openal-info: File exists

1 Like

IIRC Wine won’t work because it requires 32-bit repos, which aren’t supported by rpm-ostree. You can try using something like winepak instead, run Wine inside a container, or, if it’s a game, run it via the Steam Flatpak.

2 Likes

Well, that’s too bad. Thanks

1 Like

This sounds like a problem to me. From the perspective of a common user, one would expect an equivalent use of a software like Wine in classic workstation vs Silverblue. The use of containers doesn’t seem complicated, but you can not expect each user to adopt that workflow for this type of case (complicate something that is already complicated as wine).

I like the Winepack project, but it only tackles games for now, like Proton with Steam. For any other software supported by Wine it would be a issue.

1 Like

I’ve lost count of how many times I’ve been burned by Wine. To be blunt, the few Windows programs I want to run don’t work. Wine is a never-ending time sink. I’d rather pay the $200 for Windows 10 Pro, run all the games, and either run occasional Linux usage in Hyper-V virtual machines or dual-boot the machine.

1 Like

Hm, this is related to https://github.com/projectatomic/rpm-ostree/issues/1217

I would try to use wine in flatpak or podman for sure, but will see if I can figure out why we’re failing here.

1 Like

Digging old stuff, does someone had a solution for this ?

It seem that rpm-ostree fixed some stuff in the issue @walterslinked (https://github.com/projectatomic/rpm-ostree/issues/1217)

Yet I’m still having an hardlinking error installing wine :
error: Checkout isdn4k-utils-3.27-17.fc30.i686: Hardlinking b5/d91c2a7d8d6e94ac37180d6d96f7b04e43d2242c804b98edb52f2ad09777a8.file to capifax: File exists

Hellom is there a solution for that? I’m getting the same error @Miaourt is getting.

Sorry, maybe you should try an alternative solution?
https://flathub.org/apps/details/com.valvesoftware.Steam
(proton included in steam)

There is playonlinux on flathub which downloads it’s own wine.
There is lutris now as well on flathub-beta repo which also does this but also downloads proton dxvk & co sometimes.

I just installed beta Lutris from the flathub but I cannot run it:

$ flatpak run net.lutris.Lutris 
bwrap: Can't mkdir /app/lib/i386-linux-gnu/GL: Read-only file system
error: ldconfig failed, exit status 256

missing 32 bit libraries as well? This is so disappointing : /

Try filing a bug on the tracker for that flatpak, it’s still beta and known to have some issues.

1 Like

Thats strange cause I’m running it try to install it in --user maybe

There’s an issue with Flatpak not pulling dependencies across remotes.

There’s solutions here.

1 Like

I tried at first, it gave the exactly same error

great! it just omits a dependency

flatpak install org.gnome.Platform.Compat.i386

solves it (I chose the one from stable flathub)

Yeh. It’s currently a bug in Flatpak not pulling it.

I created this today since I was upgrading my Fedora Silverblue VM to 31 and found not much traction has been gained on supporting 32 bit libraries… Not sure if this will make much of a dent but hopefully either this or the flakpakin’ winehq-staging or lutris will eventually breakthrough and allow me to use Silverblue full time going forward…

I don’t think multilib makes much sense for Silverblue so I can see why it isn’t really important. Some sort of Wine manager for Flatpak (I think there’s one for Elementary?) would probably be a far greater idea.

It has happened before where Fedora’s libraries have been “too new” for Wine and caused issues with certain apps, and Flatpak and containers would make much better sense here.

In Fedora 31 Silverblue I have so far very good experience using Wine from a toolbox. Apparently, Fedora 31’s toolbox redirects sound, so for me this makes toolbox instances suitable for running wine for (simpler) games.

1 Like