Gnome Shell Extension management in Silverblue

desktop

I have installed Silverblue on a spare laptop to try it out, and it is working well!
However, one thing I’m missing is the ability to handle my shell extensions via extensions.gnome.org.
It is possible to install extensions directly in Software, which is great, but it does not allow for temporary disable or accessing the settings.

The package chrome-gnome-shell is required to allow extensions.gnome.org to function fully (with any browser). Alternatively, Gnome Tweaks could be used for managing the extensions.
Both of these packages can of course be layered, but I feel that at least one of them should be included in the base image.

Would it be possible to include gnome-tweaks or chrome-gnome-shell in the base image?
Or maybe Gnome Tweaks will be available as flatpak? That would also make this feel better. :slight_smile:

A good suggestion. I’ll make sure we consider it in the next working group meeting.

Actually it seems that gnome tweak tool wouldn’t do the trick anyways. It doesn’t even show the option:

From regular Fedora I would expect it at the bottom.

Wonder if it has something to do with the altered home folder location?

Though just realized you can actually install gnome extensions through software center? :no_mouth:

The desktop extensions in GNOME Software are the stable ones - if you want the latest, you need to install chrome-gnome-shell and use the extensions website.

But yes, gnome-tweaks needs to be in the base.

Pull requests welcome! :smile:

https://pagure.io/workstation-ostree-config/pull-requests

GNOME Software pulls extensions from extensions.gnome.org, so they are exactly same.

Chrome-gnome-shell installed as a layered package (or included in the base image) works with the rpm version of Firefox but won’t work with the flatpak version of Firefox. I have opened an issue in gitlab with the developer of chrome-gnome-shell. See the following link:

I’ve been experimenting with GNOME shell extensions in Silverblue 29 Beta 1.3. In theory, there are three ways you can install them:

1. If they’re in the tree, with sudo rpm-ostree install <extension>.
  2. With the browser, by visiting the extension loader.
  3. In GNOME Software.

On my system, 3 works and 2 doesn’t. 1 works, but at least one of the extensions, dash-to-dock, doesn’t work. The one from GNOME Software does work.