Fedora 35 Firefox scrollbar arrows

How can you get the scrollbar arrows back in Firefox on Fedora 35. I’m running Fedora 35 workstation.

I have tried editing ~/.config/gtk-3.0/gtk.css and got it back for all my other windows, but still can’t get them in firefox.

1 Like

Hello @dvohwinkel ,
Welcome to the community discussion area! Check this out https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/questions/881381, I think it may help you.

Thank you for the response. The link you posted is for the sidebars. I am having issues with the arrows on the scrollbars. The scrollbar itself is in the right spot on the right edge… but there are no arrows on the top and bottom of it to scroll by clicking them. It’s weird because I have them working on everything else except firefox… even on chromium they work fine. This is a brand new Fedora 35 install.
I edited ~/.config/gtk-3.0/gtk.css and added

*{
-GtkScrollbar-has-backward-stepper: 1;
-GtkScrollbar-has-forward-stepper: 1;
-GtkScrollbar-has-secondary-backward-stepper: 1;
-GtkRange-slider-width: 15;
-GtkRange-stepper-size: 15;
}

to get the arrows on all other windows and on chromium. I suppose I could just use Chromium… but I am trying to get away from google stuff.

you likely have a GTK2 theme in use instead of a GTK3 theme.

The official builds of Firefox since 46.0 have required GTK 3.4 (three.four) at minimum to run (though most people should have at least 3.12 by now) and as a result you needs GTK3 themes to theme Firefox. Firefox can technically be used with a GTK2 theme in use however Firefox will look unthemed and have some issues like missing scrollbar arrows.

Some Linux distros may have delayed this change to use GTK3 with their own packaged builds of Firefox until more recently.

GTK3 themes may be available to install in your package manager or you can get them from say GTK3/4 Themes - Gnome-look.org

(from No scroll button at both ends of scroll bar. Why? | Firefox Support Forum | Mozilla Support)

Not a solution but an old bug report with an attached screenshot illustrating the issue:
https://bugzilla.redhat.com/show_bug.cgi?id=1641606