F38 Council election: Interview with Sumantro Mukherjee

Originally published at: F38 Council election: Interview with Sumantro Mukherjee – Fedora Community Blog

This is a part of the Elections Interviews series for Fedora Linux 38. Voting is open to all Fedora contributors. The voting period starts on Monday, 29 May and closes promptly at 23:59:59 UTC on Sunday, 11 June.

Interview with Sumantro Mukherjee

• Fedora Account: sumantrom
  • Matrix: #fedora, #fedora-kde, #fedora-mindshare, #fedora-social, #fedora-social-hour, #fedora-arm, #fedora-devel, #fedora-qa, #fedora-workstation, #fedora-test-days, #fedora-i3, #fedora-badges, #fedora-docs, #fedora-l18n, #fedora-ambassadors
  • Fedora User Wiki Page

Questions

Why are you running for Fedora Council?

I hail from APAC (India) and would like to focus on bringing in more non-US perspectives, which includes bringing in more contributors from diverse backgrounds.

Efficient utilization of our brand-new design assets which are now in multiple languages to onboard a variety of users (general and power-users) to the Fedora community as contributor either to functional sides (QA, packaging..etc) and/or outreach.

Giving suggestions and bringing new perspectives from technical and outreach are my primary motivators.

What do you see as Fedora’s place in the universe?

Fedora’s place in the universe is to be the leader amongst other distros in terms of innovation that’s loved and embraced by the community.

Fedora’s potential in the Workstation, container and IoT space has been rivaled by few to none.

This puts us in a very niche position to keep growing stronger with all resources at project’s disposal. Fedora has it’s presence felt in the container land with FCOS. As we move towards new beginnings, I believe Fedora should find it’s place as a go-to rpm-ostree distro for next-generation developments in AI, Blockchain and ML.

How can we best measure Fedora’s success?

However, there is no specific way to measure, BUT.. here’s something I think can define Fedora’s success the best:

• Our on-time releases with almost zero hiccups
  • Having the Fedora CSB being trusted by Red Hat as their primary distro for employees
  • Fedora Linux’s success is measured by the people who use Fedora across all groups (a11y)
  • Fedora Project stands as the reference for the people who want to build an upstream community diverse and strong.
  • Fedora Project at its core is composed of the people who take pride in packaging, testing, designing, translating, blogging, evangelizing and collaborating across the globe

The Fedora Council is intended to be an active working body. How will you make room for Council work?

As Fedora project marches towards the 2028 vision, I would like to make room by aligning some of my previous work delegated to other community members as part of Initiatives. I would mostly be the executive sponsor and will continue to guide and oversee from time to time. These include Digital Ambassadorship and Fedora CommOps Reborn stuff.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 90 days. New replies are no longer allowed.