Epson wf-2850 all-in-one printer

I bought a Epson wf-2850 all-in-one printer for my Linux box. I installed the printer driver from fedora and I can print from my browser and LibreOffice. I downloaded the epson-printer-utility rpm file and the epson-pc-fax rpm file but currently can’t get them to open to install on my linux box. Has anyone had this happen and why it won’t open to install the files. The printer utility would give me info on the status of the printer and to do what is needed. The fax file would be used to actually be able to fax a file from my computer through my all-in-one printer. I am currently running fedora 36.

You do not open rpm files to install them. You use the tools rpm or dnf to install the rpm file.

Why exactly do you need those files installed?
Email of a pdf file is faster with better quality than a fax and does not need a phone line. You can actually already print to a pdf file and LO will export directly to a pdf.
The driver is already installed and you can already print so that is not needed.

What exactly would be the advantage of either the fax or the other utility file that cannot be done and done better with what you already have functional?

1 Like

Because some places I deal with won’t deal with files in my email and uses fax.
Well, when I tried to install the rpm files it gave me an error saying it could not open, file not supported.
I downloaded the src.rpm files and going to try it that way. Hopefully it will install that route.
My biggest question is why would a rpm file error would say can not open, file not supported.

The file was downloaded from some other site than fedora and apparently is not in an appropriate config for dnf to install it.

I also think these files are 2 or 3 years old as Epson told me they no longer support Linux.

I tried RPM, DNF and YUM and none of them could do anything but show errors. Here what I saw with dnf.

haroldhartley@fedora ~]$ sudo dnf ~/Downloads/epson-printer-utility-1.1.1-1lsb3.2.x86_64.rpm
[sudo] password for haroldhartley:

No such command: /home/haroldhartley/Downloads/epson-printer-utility-1.1.1-1lsb3.2.x86_64.rpm. Please use /usr/bin/dnf --help
It could be a DNF plugin command, try: "dnf install 'dnf-command(/home/haroldhartley/Downloads/epson-printer-utility-1.1.1-1lsb3.2.x86_64.rpm)'"
[haroldhartley@fedora ~]$ dnf install /home/haroldhartley/Downloads/epson-printer-utility-1.1.1-1lsb3.2.x86_64.rpm)'"
bash: syntax error near unexpected token `)'
[haroldhartley@fedora ~]$ dnf install /home/haroldhartley/Downloads/epson-printer-utility-1.1.1-1lsb3.2.x86_64.rpm
Error: This command has to be run with superuser privileges (under the root user on most systems).
[haroldhartley@fedora ~]$ sudo dnf install /home/haroldhartley/Downloads/epson-printer-utility-1.1.1-1lsb3.2.x86_64.rpm
Last metadata expiration check: 2:25:15 ago on Sun 03 Jul 2022 01:46:52 PM MST.
Can not load RPM file: /home/haroldhartley/Downloads/epson-printer-utility-1.1.1-1lsb3.2.x86_64.rpm.
Could not open: /home/haroldhartley/Downloads/epson-printer-utility-1.1.1-1lsb3.2.x86_64.rpm

For example, that is not a valid command. You can use man dnf or dnf --help or many other ways to find out how to install packages with dnf. HINT: install or install-local

I appreciate the following steps as you worked out the proper syntax, but the last one shows the file may not be at that location. Verify that you are using the proper filename (case sensitive) and that it is located in the directory you specified. Does ls Downloads or ls /home/haroldhartley/Downloads show it?

1 Like

Yes it shows in Downloads and type the file name correctly.
And people make mistakes when at it for a few hours.

1 Like