Audio not working in Fedora 36 snd_sof_pci_intel_tgl

I just installed Fedora 36 on a Dell Inspiron 5400 AIO. The sound settings shows Dummy Audio in the output, but it has the input microphone working. After messing with pavucontrol audio works when using the Pro Audio configuration, but not the microphone. I made some changes including adding a custom lua and multiple.conf from this site, but that again leaves the microphone not working either and it limited all the tons of HDMI configurations that were listed before. At this point I’m not sure where to turn with this thing. Obligator inxi -Fzx below.

  12Kernel 5.19.4-200.fc36.x86_64 12arch x86_64 12bits 64 12compiler gcc 12v 2.37-27.fc36 12Desktop GNOME
    12v 42.4 12Distro Fedora release 36 (Thirty Six)
  12Type Desktop 12System Dell 12product Inspiron 5400 AIO 12v N/A 12serial <superuser required>
  12Mobo Dell 12model 0894X2 12v A00 12serial <superuser required> 12UEFI Dell 12v 1.8.0 12date 12/14/2021
  12Info quad core 12model 11th Gen Intel Core i7-1165G7 12bits 64 12type MT MCP 12arch Tiger Lake 12rev 1
    12cache 12L1 320 KiB 12L2 5 MiB 12L3 12 MiB
  12Speed (MHz) 12avg 2595 12high 2800 12min/max 400/4700 12cores 121 2800 122 2800 123 2800 124 2800 125 2800
    126 1167 127 2800 128 2800 12bogomips 44851
  12Flags avx avx2 ht lm nx pae sse sse2 sse3 sse4_1 sse4_2 ssse3 vmx
  12Device-1 Intel TigerLake-LP GT2 [Iris Xe Graphics] 12vendor Dell 12driver i915 12v kernel 12arch Gen12.1
    12bus-ID 00:02.0
  12Device-2 Sunplus Innovation Integrated_Webcam_FHD 12type USB 12driver uvcvideo 12bus-ID 3-5:3
  12Display wayland 12server X.Org 12v 12with Xwayland 12v 22.1.3 12compositor gnome-shell 12driver
    12gpu i915 12resolution 1920x1080~60Hz
  12OpenGL 12renderer Mesa Intel Xe Graphics (TGL GT2) 12v 4.6 Mesa 22.1.7 12direct render Yes
  12Device-1 Intel Tiger Lake-LP Smart Sound Audio 12vendor Dell 12driver snd_hda_intel 12v kernel
    12bus-ID 00:1f.3
  12Sound Server-1 ALSA 12v k5.19.4-200.fc36.x86_64 12running yes
  12Sound Server-2 PulseAudio 12v 15.0 12running no
  12Sound Server-3 PipeWire 12v 0.3.56 12running yes
  12Device-1 Intel Wi-Fi 6 AX201 12driver iwlwifi 12v kernel 12bus-ID 00:14.3
  12IF wlo1 12state up 12mac <filter>
  12Device-2 Realtek RTL8111/8168/8411 PCI Express Gigabit Ethernet 12vendor Dell 12driver r8169
    12v kernel 12port 3000 12bus-ID 02:00.0
  12IF enp2s0 12state down 12mac <filter>
  12Device-1 Intel AX201 Bluetooth 12type USB 12driver btusb 12v 0.8 12bus-ID 3-10:5
  12Report rfkill 12ID hci0 12rfk-id 0 12state up 12address see --recommends
  12Local Storage 12total 476.94 GiB 12used 6.74 GiB (1.4%)
  12ID-1 /dev/nvme0n1 12vendor Western Digital 12model PC SN530 NVMe WDC 512GB 12size 476.94 GiB
    12temp 42.9 C
  12ID-1 / 12size 475.34 GiB 12used 6.52 GiB (1.4%) 12fs btrfs 12dev /dev/dm-0
    12mapped luks-5cfae0b0-0b20-49d6-a67a-cdbce26fe1fc
  12ID-2 /boot 12size 973.4 MiB 12used 206.1 MiB (21.2%) 12fs ext4 12dev /dev/nvme0n1p2
  12ID-3 /boot/efi 12size 598.8 MiB 12used 14 MiB (2.3%) 12fs vfat 12dev /dev/nvme0n1p1
  12ID-4 /home 12size 475.34 GiB 12used 6.52 GiB (1.4%) 12fs btrfs 12dev /dev/dm-0
    12mapped luks-5cfae0b0-0b20-49d6-a67a-cdbce26fe1fc
  12ID-1 swap-1 12type zram 12size 8 GiB 12used 0 KiB (0.0%) 12dev /dev/zram0
  12System Temperatures 12cpu 58.0 C 12mobo 41.0 C
  12Fan Speeds (RPM) 12cpu 1436
  12Processes 526 12Uptime 11m 12Memory 15.26 GiB 12used 2.62 GiB (17.2%) 12Init systemd
  12target graphical (5) 12Compilers 12gcc 12.2.1 12Packages N/A 12note see --pkg
  12Client Unknown Client: pk-command-not-found 12inxi 3.3.19

I’m having the exact same issue. The latest update nuked my audio but with a twist. I have to keep the audio streaming and the minute I don’t and try to reload YouTube, audio stops working. The only thing that changed was the last update. It’s another spectacular “improvement” from Fedora.

Same here on my F36 WS Release on Gnome 42.
Audio output is completely gone since I today updated my system to the new kernel (5.19.4).
Pipewire etc. was left untouched during that update.

Sound ouput is ok when I switch to XFCE desktop environment. Everything works fine there:

This helped fix the fubar on my system >>

1 Like

Bluetooth has been pretty bad on my X1 Carbon Gen9 with AX201 Bluetooth. Audio doesn’t switch over properly to the headset at times, sometimes the bluetooth headset will be selected but audio will still come out of the laptop speakers, etc.

It’s made it really tough to do conference calls reliably unfortunately. Wonder if there’s a way to quickly report these kinds of bugs faster.

I can’t even find a way to report this issue without manually typing in a bunch of errors and logs on bugzilla. The system troubleshooter says everything is fine.