Article about vaapi support in Fedora's Official Chromium

Recently vaapi support got added in Fedora’s Chromium commit

So I wrote a draft explaining it how it happened. Post Draft and now I want an editor review to get it finalize and ultimately get published.

This is my first post so there will be some mistakes. Please do correct them. Thanks :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Thanks for submitting, @jeet! Have you considered submitting this to Fedora Magazine? It’s more user-facing, so it might be a better fit there. You’d probably need to expand on it a bit, but they’ll help you with that if they accept the pitch. If Magazine rejects it or if you don’t want to submit it there, @ me and I’ll take a look at it for the Community Blog.

1 Like

This is a super article. Nice write-up! :+1:

For some reason, I didn’t think to mention the Fedora Magazine, but I think that is probably the better place to put it. I didn’t realize how user-facing this was. :grinning:

Sure but from today I will be travelling. I will probably come back next week. After that I have to expand it a little more for the magazine post. Thank you so much.

1 Like

Hi; Can you share a capture of the results with gpu?

chrome://gpu/

I will upload a better screenshot later.
This is on AMDGPU.

2 Likes

Thanks; I co-maintain a chromium package in a third party repository and if your patch has success with “rasterization” is great… My capture without your patch…

test

Cool. Btw I think you can enable rasterization with a flag “–enable-gpu-rasterization” along with --enable-zero-copy increases the performance tremendously. But I haven’t enabled it in chromium vaapi that I maintain it a similar third party repository.

If I can increases the performance is great; Well, I will to test it.

Chromium is a very hard package. It usually takes hours to compile and test … You’ve already checked … Google should reduce the time to compile chromium; I was the second to reduce the compilation time using “jumbo builds” next gentoo … fedora.

The point is if you do not have a strong infrastructure; optimize is the first thing you are looking for. And, I seek to optimize in the compilation, also in its execution.

Well I’m using jumbo for sometime now. It’s usually takes about 4 hours to build. I haven’t enabled component build because it reduces performance and startup time by a lot.
I will provide in detail comparison in my magazine post once I return.

Here is an example:(credits: Tobias Wolfshappen)

1 Like

I have written a Fedora Magazine draft here. I will ask in the devel list for a review to see if it gets approved or not. Thanks for suggesting :slight_smile:

1 Like

Awesome work! :tada: I can’t wait to see this published.

1 Like

Thank you :slight_smile:

1 Like

Well, after some days testing, here my results enabling some things now, disabled by default

vaapi2

vaapi3

Hi. I have mailed in the mailing list last week and haven’t got any response. So I decided to go with community blog post as for now. Moreover, the patch just landed in Fedora 29, 28 builds officially. Please review and publish if possible. I will then try to spread it via social media.

Hi @Jeet, I posted a follow-up to the Magazine mailing list too. I think it fell off track because of the holidays. Let’s try once more to get it reviewed and published there now that the holidays are wrapping up. :slightly_smiling_face:

If we don’t hear back by this time next week, let’s publish on the Community Blog.

To follow-up, this made it to the Fedora Magazine last week: