Windows boot option not available anymore after Fedora server install

Hello, I recently installed Fedora server (dual-boot with Windows 10) and I did two mistakes: I had Windows on the same drive, used it with the automatic configuration and I did not make a server user. I had important documents on the windows os. By now I just fixed this by backing up important documents on an another drive, deleting everything and installing Windows again, but for someone with not much knowledge it could be a nightmare. What I have figured out is that I either used incompatible (not UEFI) version of the Fedora boot or the Fedora’s automatic partitioning configuration modified the Windows EFI. I think its the latter. I have a question on what could I have done else rather than reinstalling everything.

EDIT: I mentioned that I didn’t create a user because I couldn’t get out of the server login, therefore I couldn’t use the console. What should I have done then to get access to Fedora?

I’m not sure how to fix this from your current situation, but I have advice about dual-booting:

1. It’s easier with 2 separate drives (BIOS and UEFI) in order to have two separate boot managers not affecting each other
  2. Wipe both drives or disconnect the one planned for Linux; there cannot be a EFI partition visible on any of them for starting or it’ll get re-used (that’s the common issue with dual-boot)
  3. Install Windows to the first drive; it’ll do MBR/UEFI on that drive and keep it isolated to Windows
  4. Disconnect that drive and install Linux to the other drive (same idea of keeping the boot isolated to that drive)
  5. Reconnect the Windows drive, boot Linux (BIOS/UEFI boot order/list) and initiate GRUB update so it re-detects boot entries (so it knows about the Windows boot loader)
  6. Set UEFI/BIOS boot order to the Linux drive; the Windows drive doesn’t need listed as boot
  7. Now you can boot Linux or Windows from GRUB, and any updates to boot stuff on Windows will be isolated to the Windows drive only and not touch GRUB
  8. Can also boot directly to Windows (bypass GRUB) from BIOS/UEFI boot order/list and Windows changes will still be isolated to the Windows-specific drive

Some claim this.
Personally I have used many different laptops with a single drive, having windows already installed and have never had an issue when installing fedora for dual boot.

Yes, both must be installed in uefi mode or both in legacy mode.
Yes, fedora will use the already existing uefi partition
No, I have never had fedora interfere with windows bootloader.
No, I have never once needed to modify the boot selection in bios since it still uses the same esp to manage booting
No, I do not have to connect and disconnect drives while doing the install
No, I do not have to update grub after reconnecting all drives.

The only thing I find that seems critical is that I use the windows drive manager to resize the windows partition and allow adequate unallocated space for the fedora install. After all one should use the tools designed for the os in use.

YMMV, but for me it has worked flawlessly for many years. I think most of that is hype caused by users who do not understand what they are doing, may not be properly following instructions, and may be believing erroneous hype from others.

This is a rather detailed guide to install fedora dual boot with windows on a single drive.

The hundreds of thousands of users who dual boot on a laptop with a single drive and have no issues cannot be wrong.

1 Like

Let’s say that your windows efi partition is located at:
/dev/sda1
(use lsblk -f to figure it out or some other tool)

Liveboot from Fedora install usb and run:

sudo -i
mount -m /dev/sda1 /mnt/temp
efibootmgr -c -L "Windows Boot Manager" -l "\EFI\Microsoft\Boot\bootmgfw.efi"
umount /dev/sda1
reboot

That’s fair, but I’ve only heard of dual-boot issues from users using one drive or having single EFI partitions. Even if GRUB/Linux plays well with Windows boot loaders and does everything proper, the guarantee isn’t there with Windows playing nicely.

Multi-boot can be done with a single drive and most people doing it probably do it with a single drive.

I believe there have been many more users having problems with dual efi partitions (sometimes on the same drive) or multiple drives than there are users with problems with dual booting on a single drive. Also, it is a given that performing a windows reinstall or repair after having linux installed usually does mess up booting since windows takes control.