Why can I update the kernel package to version 6.5.7 but the kernel-devel package only to 6.5.6?

Testing out Fedora 39, after a post-installation upgrade, I have kernel 6.5.7, but the corresponding kernel-devel package is not available. The newest kernel-devel available to me is is 6.5.6. This means I can’t compile modules with akmods. My understanding was that if Bodhi shows two RPM packages as being part of the same build, then those packages should hit mirrors at the same time. Is that wrong?

Have you tried to maybe reinstall kernel-devel. My latest kernel update to 6.5.7 also updated kernel-devel and the drivers for nvidia built as well. Just to add I used
dnf update --enablerepo=updates-testing,updates
to pull in the latest Fedora39 updates.

That’s weird. Only if I try to dnf upgrade with --enablerepo=updates-testing does DNF offer up the matching kernel-devel package for installation. How did the kernel package make it out of testing without the corresponding kernel-devel package following suit?

Thanks, but I think you may have misinterpreted my post. There’s no error, the package just simply is not available (without enabling updates-testing):

[user@host ~]$ sudo dnf upgrade --refresh
[sudo] password for user: 
Copr repo for PyCharm owned by phracek                                                                                                                                                                        4.7 kB/s | 2.1 kB     00:00    
Fedora 39 - x86_64                                                                                                                                                                                             19 kB/s |  16 kB     00:00    
Fedora 39 openh264 (From Cisco) - x86_64                                                                                                                                                                      6.5 kB/s | 989  B     00:00    
Fedora 39 - x86_64 - Updates                                                                                                                                                                                  113 kB/s |  19 kB     00:00    
google-chrome                                                                                                                                                                                                  19 kB/s | 1.3 kB     00:00    
RPM Fusion for Fedora 39 - Free                                                                                                                                                                               9.2 kB/s | 6.7 kB     00:00    
RPM Fusion for Fedora 39 - Free - Test Updates                                                                                                                                                                 12 kB/s | 6.4 kB     00:00    
RPM Fusion for Fedora 39 - Nonfree                                                                                                                                                                             14 kB/s | 7.0 kB     00:00    
RPM Fusion for Fedora 39 - Nonfree - NVIDIA Driver                                                                                                                                                             42 kB/s | 6.6 kB     00:00    
RPM Fusion for Fedora 39 - Nonfree - Steam                                                                                                                                                                     14 kB/s | 6.3 kB     00:00    
RPM Fusion for Fedora 39 - Nonfree - Test Updates                                                                                                                                                              11 kB/s | 6.7 kB     00:00    
Visual Studio Code                                                                                                                                                                                            6.5 kB/s | 1.5 kB     00:00    
Dependencies resolved.
Nothing to do.
Complete!

Fedora 39 is frozen at the moment until the official release. So 3.5.7 won’t be pushed to the fedora repository in this period, and neither would any other newly compiled packages. The new packages will probably be available in updates-testing, so if you want that you need to enable updates-testing.

sudo dnf config-manager  --enable updates-testing

It would be imposible to create a consistent set of iso images when the repositories are changed daily. Therefore it is frozen.

1 Like

Hmm, that’s odd. I now see that 6.5.7 is in updates-testing as well. Now my new question is why did updating through GNOME Software pull in something from updates-testing even though I don’t have that repository enabled? All I did was install the F39 workstation beta, and then update packages through GNOME Software. That resulted in kernel 6.5.7 being installed, but not the corresponding -devel package. Can GNOME Software pull stuff in from updates-testing even if the repo is disabled?

You installed f38 Beta, and that has updates-testing enabled, and it does not provide kernel-devel. WIth the first updates you get a new set of dnf configuration files, this time with updates-testing disabled. At the same time you will get packages from updates-testing as that was enabled when starting this update.

Later you installed (I guess) akmods which pulls in a lot of stuff needed for compiling kernel modules, including kernel-devel. Now updates-testing is disabled you don’t get 6.5.7 as it is not available in fedora or updates.

Once the final release iso is released it will come with updates-testing disabled.

1 Like

Aha, I think I understand now. Thank you for the clear explanation.