What to do with WCIDFF? (!Warning!)

Actually :fedora: have Three different ways to capture new talent:

1. Get involved :: Fedora Docs
  2. Fedora Project Wiki
  3. Fedora Join is trying a new people focused workflow for newcomers – Fedora Community Blog

Talking About WCIDFF?

Preamble

All these improvements/changes are based on the following page:

With all these changes/restructuring from the wiki to docs.fp.o, WCIDFF really needs to be updated because:

1. Is out-date.
  2. It points to the wiki pages instead of the current docs.fp.o.
  3. New Join SIG newcomers workflow (Contact to an Human)
    * Add something on the lines of "want to speak to a human? Head to fedora-join!" · Issue #75 · fedora-infra/asknot-ng · GitHub
  4. Sometimes in Fedora Join SIG have newcomers coming from there.

I think we should continue with this project, because provide a wide view of the Fedora Project to all kind of people.

Think to Add:

Here is an example:

TEAM to add:

I also know Ambassador is under restructuring…

Programming Language to add:

• Donet.
  • Erlang.
  • Rust.
  • Perl.
  • Go
  • PHP

Programming Language to remove:

• Haskell
  • C/C++
  • Javascript
  • Java SIG seems inactive
  • Scala

TEAM that does not migrate its standard operating procedures to docs.fp.o

• Design
  • Marketing
  • Globalization
  • Join (on progress)
  • Askfedora (done)
  • Desktop SIG
  • Server SIG

Conclusion

This makes the fedora project unorganized and unstructured, providing many information from different sources and differing between them.

for naming a few Examples:

Another BIG Example:

a. in this example, the process changed drastically and new tools were implemented.
b. in the case of wiki pages, only contributor with FAS and approve it in one group can accomplish this task for SPAM reason.

These pages migrated need to be updated with the following policy → Fedora Quick Docs :: Fedora Docs

Also:

I think this can’t be the entry point to capture newcomers for the reasons stated above…

I think the new place should be:

NOTE: I am neither judging nor evaluating the great work done by the community/infra-team and the effort writing the new docs just that it needs a tweaks, I also know :fedora: is under restructuring…

and as a last task and not least important is contact the globalization team to execute all respective translations…

cc. @bex @mattdm

cc. Join SIG @FranciscoD @alciregi @bt0dotninja

WARNING: if it is what you would like to accomplish, and you’re out of Resources I’m willing/available to help, and be able to carry out all these tasks, or another community volunteer…

I made some patch for resolve some issues and made testing more easy adding/improving using of Container : Fixed Issues by hhlp · Pull Request #108 · fedora-infra/asknot-ng · GitHub

The Objective is Making WCIDFF more easier and prevent HIT AND RUN

Regards.,

2 Likes

Just to add something, we have these ongoing activities:

1 Like

As a side note: personally I don’t like very much the statement “Contact a human” :thinking: After all, if you chose to join a team, you will end up to get in touch with people and not with some sort of AI :slight_smile:
I would think to more friendly statement.

Ok, we need update WCIDFF to works with the new Fedora Join workflow also fedora docs, we need talk with teams without sops in docs.fp.o

I’m not sure if this post has the correct visibility, and maybe a pagure ticket can help us to follow the progress of some related tasks better.

As contributor coming from WCIDFF I will be happy to help do some changes let me become familiar with the code : )

1 Like

Just an Idea…

Maybe a commblog post linking to this post… and also to the new fedora join newcomers workflow and notifiying via mailing list to the TEAM’s involved…

Regards.,

For me it’s a plan :slight_smile:

@hhlp @bt0dotninja and others (new user, can’t add more)

Hello administrators,

I’ve recently joined the CommOps group for discussing about a potential GSoC project (you might have known me as paraxor on the Join SIG channel) and am redirected by JFlory (Justin W.Flory) to discuss the same with you.

My proposal is to Design and Redo/Renovate the current WCIDFF site. I’ve made some progress in listing out all the current objectives and obstacles, so that one can decide if this might seem too broad and out of scope for a GSoC project. If someone is interested and is kind enough to see this as a potential project (as I feel this must last at-least 5 years with continuous support and maintenance), please do reach out!

As for the deliverables, one can start out as:

• Revamp the UI to build the best possible experience users
  • Building initial mockups and gather community feedback
  • Automation of issuing tickets from related administrators etc
    (Just a start)

I’ve linked a PDF of what can be done, please look into this.
PDF: map.pdf - Google Drive

Regards,
paraxor.

2 Likes

Hi, so this thread was linked across a few places lately, but it is old. I am going to close this thread to further replies, and instead ask that anyone coming in the future who wants to follow up on WCIDFF to follow or reply in the topic below instead: