What is the Procedure to Install Fedora 37 in Raid0

I have been Using Raid in Microsft Windows for 20 years, and now I want to Use it in Fedora 37.
My System is an i9 12900k with 64gb Ram and Four Samsung 990Pro 1TB SSD’s.
I have just Installed Fedora and some how managed to get the Raid0 Working.
Don’t ask me How I Did that as I can’t remember Which Setting I Used.
First Up I Selected all 4 SSD’s, then Clicked on where it says create mount points automatically or words to that effect.
Then I Used One of the Settings Available and set that as Raid0.
But to me it is all Guess Work as I do not know Which Settings I should Apply the Raid To.
Then there is an Option at the bottom of the page where AI can create the Mount Points Manually.
But here again I do not know Which ones to use and What Size to make them , ( , Home, Swap, etc.
About a week ago I had another crack at it and when it was finished I started installing stuff and a Notice Poped up saying I had run out of Space, So I had done something wrong in the raid construction.
Although I had 4TB of Raid0 Space, it’s a mistery as to where it all got gobbled up or lost.
Could some Kind Person provide me with a Link Pointing to Information for The Correct Procedure to use.

Prerequisites

Installation Destination

• Device Selection > Select all disks
  • Storage Configuration > Custom
  • Done

Manual Partitioning > New Fedora Installation

• New mount points will use the following partitioning scheme: Btrfs
  • Click here to create them automatically
  • SYSTEM > root > Volume > Modify…
    • Select all volumes
    • RAID level: RAID0
    • Size policy: As large as possible
    • Save
  • Done > Accept Changes

See also: Creating Software RAID

4 Likes

I want to Install Fedora 37 in Raid0 , But I am unsure about the Partition Layout.
My System is an An Advanced i9 System with 64gb of Ram and Four M.2 1TB SSD’s.
During the Early Part of the Installation I am Presented with the Disk Layout .
Here I can see the Part where you can have the Installer Automatically Create the Layout for you.
That’s Fine But it does not give you any Options for Raid.
Further Down that Page I can see where you can Add the Partitions Manually, But I am unsure about Which ones I need and their Size.
There you can add partitions such as , Root,,User,Home,Swap etc.
If I use the Wizard and have the Installer Automatically Create the Layout, Where do I go next to have it made up in Raid0.???.

• SYSTEM > root > Volume > Modify…
    • Select all volumes
    • Save
1 Like

You Replied ( * SYSTEM > root > Volume > Modify…

• Select all volumes
  • Save ).
    Where did you Quote this from.
    I am talking about the installation wizard for fedora 37 .
    Not Using MDADM form inside Fedora.
    So Presuming You Said it was from the Installer, I Erased my Four Disks and Headed to The Installer, Only to find that the Information you Supplied was Not There.
    Thanks , But No Thanks and I have Reinstalled Windows.

2 Likes

Thank You Very Much for your Time and Effort.
The Information you provided Helped Me Imensly .
Using Your Info I have Installed Fedora 37 in What I Assumed to be Raid0.
However after looking at my Disks Layout with ( Disks ) in Fedora it puts a Dark Cloud over my End Result.
I can’t give you a Screen Capture unfortunately as I haven’t got the Time to set one up ( to buisy fixing the Raid ).
Here is what I can see with the Disks App:===
1— On the First 1tb SSD 620 mb fat 32 partition, 1.2gb ext4 partition, one local host live partition 900gb btrfs .
2— The Other Three 1tb Drives have One Local Host live Partition 900gb btrfs.
3— At the bottom of those 3 disks it Says,---- Size 999gb , Contents Btrfs-- Not Mounted --Device /dev/nvme1n1p1 ( thats just One of them ) — UUID about 32 numerical and digits long ---- Partition Type Linux File System

We set up RAID0 as a built-in Btrfs feature, so it is identified as a Btrfs volume on the outside.

It should be the following partitions:

• EFI,
  • boot,
  • Btrfs with built-in RAID0.

Those are the remaining members of the RAID.

It looks like GNOME Disks lacks support for Btrfs RAID to properly display its status.

But you can confirm the RAID membership like this:

sudo btrfs filesystem usage /

Hi Vladislav,
I’ve managed to get the screensave feature working,
So please take a look at the attached Pic’s.
Regards, John

The terminal output looks correct as 4 Btrfs partitions are arranged in RAID0 size of 3.63 TiB.

Thanks once again Vladislav,
I have done some Test and from an Overall Perspective I have come to realize that Using Raid0 in Linux For The Boot O/S is Simply a Waiste of Time and Effort.
In Windows, Using Intel RST and Checking the Speed ( I use HdTunePro ) it Doubles the Speed and is Noticably Faster in General.
However In Linux Raid0 for the O/S Shows No Increase in Speed or Overall Performance.
Infact I dont think that the Raid actually Works the same way as it does in Windows.
From what I can see it Uses a Fat32 Partition for the Boot and Maybe Lets you Use the Remaining Drives as Raid0.
Now that may have some advantages for Some Installations, however for me it has little or no benefit.
So I have Removed 3 Drives and done a normal Install of Fedora 37 on One of my 1tb SSD’s.
And I am quite happy with it, it is Fast and Snappy enough for me.
So Thanks for your Help and sorry to waist your time.
CHEERS, John

1 Like