Veracrypt from a toolbox

Hello,

I want to keep my underlying OS as clean as possible so I am trying to run veracrypt and possibly Virtualbox in a toolbox. I was able to run veracrypt and Virtualbox in Fedora 30 Workstation.

I installed veracypt rpm in the toolbox. When I tried to mount an existing veracrypt file, I get a permission denied /media/veracrypt1. Since I cannot write to the /media directory, I added new directory to my /Documents folder. I tried to mount the veracrypt file to this new directory and I get the “Failed to setup a loop device”.

Someone recommend typing in modprobe loop but modprobe does not exist in toolbox.

TIA.

Jeff

Hi @scoobyscrappy,

This is an older solution but still works for people on Fedora. I would try it out and if you still get an error some people in the Arch Linux wiki recommended doing a system reboot that fixed the issue.

Hi miker256,

Thanks for your reply.
I tried out the commands in the post and it did create a /dev/loop0 file but when I tried to mount the veracrypt file I still get the “Failed to setup a loop device”.
I decided to install veracrypt as a LayerPackage in the CoreOS and it works.

Jeff

I know this is old thread. I am just posting here for future people. It uses veracrypt terminal.
Download veracrypt.tar.bz2 extract it. than run the console setup. extract veracrypt.tar.gz and inside you find bin and sbin folder. copy “veracrypt” from bin and “mount.veracrypt” from sbin. and put both file in ~/.local/bin. Now restart.
start with “veracrypt --help”

2 Likes