Usecase Desktop PC?

I have installed Fedora Silverblue 29 workstation on a test machine .

Installation was straight forward but the use case is unclear to me for a desktop.

Ok, I can do rollbacks easily. But how important is this normally?

More important is to be able to install software - and this is more or less impossible.

Google Chrome cannot be installed because because it goes to /opt.

It directly gives a hint why this does not work:

As a replacement I installed Chromium.

Next thing I tried was to install SoftMaker.

This is also not possible because libidn.so.11 is necessary and rpm-ostree refuses the installation.

https://forum.softmaker.de/viewtopic.php?t=24463

On my standard Fedora I set a softlink and forced the installation with --ndoeps.

rpm-ostree does not have such an option (or I simply did not find it) and I cannot set softlinks in read-only filesystems.

So I think as standard working desktop I cannot use it.

Chromium works as a Chrome replacement, as you already know. SoftMaker can be largely replaced with LibreOffice; I brought up the idea of a Flatpak on the forums but they just said they’d forward it to the devs.

Remember that Silverblue is still technically in a “beta” of sorts; it works well, but there are still some rough edges. I’ve found that pretty much every issue can be worked around with just a bit of elbow grease.

I have installed it on my Intel NUC for testing. Maybe I will keep it for a while and play a little bit around to see what the pro and cons are compared with the standard Fedora distro.

I have solved the SoftMaker issue and described my solution here:

https://forum.softmaker.de/viewtopic.php?f=283&t=24463&p=117219#p117219

Meanhile Softmaker has fixed the issue.

Next thing was how to run blue-app-ssh-agent for Ledger Nano S.

For this blue-loader-python is necessary and this installs under /usr.

Since /usr is read-only the only option I saw was to remount it read-write for installation.

Probably this is not the idea of Silverblue but somehow it must be possible to install the stuff which was working before.

Yeah, this generally isn’t the best idea… For a lot of things, you can try fedora-toolbox. For this, you’d be better off installing to /usr/local (which isn’t read-only) or trying to make an rpm of it.