Hello, i’m trying to upgrade from a older release 36 but when i go from kernel 5.17.12-100 to 6.x i’m getting issues.
Hi @michielb , welcome to the community.
What version are you upgrading to? Can you please tell us the command?
Fedora upgrades are supported/tested over consecutive releases. So, from F40 → F41, then F41 → F42. Additionally, Fedora 36 is long EOL, so the upgrade path may not work very well anymore as it and releases till F40 have not received updates in ages. Is a fresh install not an option, as they may be simpler and less time consuming?
thank you! and thank you for your answer!
i started from fedora 29 and then steps and when i get to 36 it works as long as the kernel version remains below 6.x
sudo dnf upgrade --refresh
sudo dnf system-upgrade download --releasever=36
sudo dnf system-upgrade reboot
i’m following the guide: Upgrading Fedora Linux Using DNF System Plugin :: Fedora Docs
maybe that is something i have to lookin to.
Please post text as preformatted not as images, using the </> icon in the + menu.
If you had then I could have quoted the interest log line.
The logs seem to be saying you have a memory issue and maybe a xfs file system problem.
Can you install memtest+ and test tour memory?
You may find it is easier to backup your data and then install Fedora 42 as a fresh install.
But first make sure you memory is reliable.
i can do that. but they are virtual machines on VMware. when i go back to kernel: kernel-core-5.17.12-100 then i dont have any issues anymore. it starts when i boot a 6.x kernel
I would have expected vmware to have updated to support recent kernels.
But vmware has been know if be a little behind in its kernel support.
Are you able to consider moving to libvirt? There is supported tooling to convert vmware VMs into kvm/qemu compatible images.
Unfortunately, I’m not able to make a decision on that, the company is standardized on VMware. I’m able to manage the OS but I can’t create a new VM myself I need to request that via the onboarding process. That I why I tried upgrading in steps to the supported release
Report the kernel support issue to your support so they can vet vmware to work the problem.
Are you on the latest vmware version?
