Uninstalling programs

Hi! I’m new to fedora linux. I need help with uninstalling programs. I have some programs that I downloaded from terminal and wan’t to delete them (the programs I wan’t to delete are Microsoft Teams and GrapeJuice). I haven’t found a way to delete them. Can someone please help me?

1 Like

What commands did you use to install the software?

2 Likes

The teams i installed from the web. The grapejuice from github. Sorry I lied. I didn’t use terminal for them. I messed it up with some other programs.

Best idea might be to go back to the place where you found the installation instructions and check there for how to uninstall.

Well, Teams is available as an rpm package.
If you installed it that way, you should be able to run ‘sudo dnf remove teams’ to uninstall it.

As for grapejuice…
Well, honestly, I’ve never even heard of that.
Programs built/installed from github tend to be a bit of a pain to remove, depending on the specifics of the installation process.
Do you have a link to the instructions you followed?

1 Like

Still not answered these questions?

If you install packages, RPM, flatpak or any other format on other distributions, they are managed by the package manager, i.e. dnf / rpm-ostree or flatpak.

This is the easy way and on atomic variants the only way to install packages to the system.

As this is Linux, this is of course only one of dozens of ways to install stuff.

1. Just place an executable file in some folder (binary, appimages too). Put a .desktop entry in ~/.local/share/applications/ directing to that file in its Exec= line, and it will behave just like an installed program. To uninstall, you just remove the file and the .desktop entry.

2. compile code yourself using make and make install or an equivalent. This may be complicated to remove I think, but probably also possible. You may need the code you downloaded to find where make install put it.

3. If you only have .deb packages, or .rpm made for opensuse, you can use Toolbox/Distrobox with an Ubuntu/Debian or OpenSuse image, and install the packages there. This also goes for repositories, for example if an app is only available through an Ubuntu PPA or other repo. Example: VLC 4.0 only available as Snap or Ubuntu PPA.

4. You may have other, cross-distro package managers like pip or cargo. Those should work fine, but avoid installing packages to the system. They may have different versions than the Fedora equivalents (mostly newer) so this can break your OS! On atomic variants pip automatically installs --user.

5. For cargo: Instead of installing rust packages via dnf, install rustup and it will install cargo from there, which you then use to install everything only for the user, not into the system. ~/.cargo/bin needs to be in your PATH to work.

6. Snap: centrally controlled by Canonical, mainly adopted in Ubuntu. Has some exclusive proprietary apps like Spotify or the Jetbrains suite, but those are extracted and repackaged into Flatpaks. No real need to use Snap in most cases.

7. Appimages: not a good format, as there is no crytptographic verification, no package management, no updates, no metadata, no permission system and no desktop entry. Avoid using it, ask devs to support Flatpak, which is way better. Appimages are only needed when you use Tails or want to carry apps around (though this could also be done with Flatpaks, but more difficult.) Many Flatpaks are also repackaged Appimages, so this is also possible.

Honestly if there is no RPM I would still check COPR, as RPMs are just way less trouble.

If you still want to install something the manual way, first check what you are doing. This is how to break a system and how to get malware.

For keeping the system clean, you could use a Toolbox/Distrobox and install the software there, if you dont know how to uninstall just remove the entire toolbox.

This is also how you would do it on atomic variants, where there is no “random make install somewhere”