Unable to boot new Fedora

Hi Everyone

When using the automatic partition manager in the liveCD installer for Fedora KDE Plasma it makes on my larger SSD drive a biosboot partition which doesn’t boot at all. Strangely enough on the second smaller 16GB msata SSD, it creates an EFI boot partition which does work . Why does it do this? Both are using the automatic tools.

Thanks

The difference is rather that when booting in classical BIOS mode, that is non-UEFI, the install procedure creates the biosboot partition which will contain the part of the grub2 loader which does not fit into the master boot record on the first sector of the disk unit. When booting in UEFI mode, you will get the EFI boot partiton, also known as the ESP partition.

If you boot the live USB system, and if you run the efibootmgr the command will only work if yor live system was booted in UEFI mode.

For some computer, when presenting a bootable USB in the Boot Menu, there might be 2 entries listed - 1 for BIOS, 1 for UEFI.

Please double check if your computer is like that, and you did choose the UEFI entry.

Is the larger ssd using the gpt partition table or the mbr partition table if it’s using mbr it needs to be changed to gpt in order to boot from uefi.

That may be true (and is) for windows to boot uefi. Windows will only install for uefi boot on a GPT drive. Fedora is quite happy to boot in uefi mode with the drive partitioned as either MBR or as GPT. Fedora and grub do not care.

The UEFI firmware might care. And it is rarely documented if it does. From point of view of the makers of the firmware, as long as the computer can boot MS-Windows, it works properly.

It might,
However, I have seen no reported instances of fedora refusing to install and boot properly in uefi mode on any machine when the drive is MBR partitioned. Can you reference one?

Even if I could, it is probably not true. UEFI specs says that you should be able to boot from a disk with a dos partition table.