TV tuner driver

10h

Hi, there. I have issue here. I like to install TBS6290 TV card in to SB32. I am not novice but novice in SB. i like to install kernel in modules but it does not allow to. I am bit lost what route to fo. Flatback do not help. And driver installation location is issue. Should I do it in Toolbox. I get used to dnf and /lib/modules/5.5.0-0.rc2.git1.1.fc32.x86_64/kernel/drivers Where do I start? Show me the way Guru’s

Isn’t so that if make driver or should I say compile (nto sure that this is correct term) I use /usrlocal and rpm in Fedora case into /var/usrlocal and they are writable. What hapend when new ostree layer come?

Yei it is like this and more /usrlocal/bin folder as it will be executable instead src but this folder is not writable. Oh’ what should I do?

Hello @juhafinlandvoaa,

If you want to install anything onto the base system, you would use rpm-ostree install <package>. As for kernel modules, I think there may be even more complications around that, but I am not a kernel module expert. In any case, if you can install via dnf in the toolbox, you can also install via rpm-ostree in the base system.

Yes, this is what I was scared. So it is not possible compile from source code and use make command. Need to be .rpm.

Not sure, but you may be able to compile kernel module code in toolbox. Then to install/use the module for Silverblue, I believe that you need to modify the kernel command line to load it at boot time. I think that is how the proprietary Nvidia drivers are loaded. You should be able to find kernel command line information in other posts on the forum and in the Silverblue docs.

AFAIK the Nvidia drivers have to be layered then you have to blacklist the nouveau driver. For them you enable their repo (rpmfusion) then install via rpm-ostree as a layered pkg.
Sorry that was meant for @mmorrell2016.

Well to do it using source code, you could make your own rpm then use rpm-ostree to locally install said rpm. That seems like the long way, but there is a bundle of info about making your own rpm from source both in Fedora Documentation and RedHat docs.

All right then. It looks more clear now. All this seems to be in my upper limits of skills. I was using Toolbox and compiled earlier. And I can look then Nvidia instructions to modify GRUB2. I feel now that I need to move away from comfortable zone. Why I start to using SB.

I know there are Nvidia akmod drivers as part of the rpm-fusion repo, but I don’t have Nvidia hardware so never had to use them. Silverblue is modular, in that the Linux Kernel is modular, therefore, it should be as simple as enabling the repo via ostree remote command. (ostree remote add --help will give details) then installing with rpm-ostree install <ref> <nvidia driver pkg>
Remember to use sudo for the ostree command otherwise it does it as a dry run, with no effect other than telling you whether it would work or not. This link is the blog post of the driver packager (Alexander Larsson) about how to use them in Fedora Silverblue.

Here is a link to a wiki that describes how to build your own kernel module RPM. It is a pretty long process and not so easy to do if you are not familiar with building kernel modules. Once you have the RPM built, then you should be able to install it to Silverblue using RPM layering method.

https://wiki.centos.org/HowTos/BuildingKernelModules

I read already earlier Larson article about it. I do start to mix things. Is kmodtools available. I think I am running Rawhide now and could be that is is not available. Or what stage it is now per scheduled? Should come soon Beta version. But I am very happy about image system as already two times OS hangs and is standard Fedora you need to start some digging what went wrong. Here you just take earlier image. Very nice. Specialty when only PC in family is standard use and my experiment PC and HW never ending evolution with my double octavo possessor what I do never need. What was alway problem with Linux is poor documentation. In this case I need to read a lot and start to look this subject around. And as always you start to read some information and end of the page it is dated year pass awy or then they are not relevant. Such as Debian. What is also very much all right for certain use. All right then, I start from these and get in touch later kamrats.

Good luck friend, definitely keep us posted as to your progress. Knowledge shared is a gift forever.

So was reading documentation and use of toolbox and make normal maneuver to new toolbox but make gives

File not found: /lib/modules/5.5.0-0.rc2.git1.1.fc32.x86_64/build/.config at ./scripts/make_kconfig.pl line 33, line 4.
make[1]: *** No rule to make target ‘.config’, needed by ‘.myconfig’. Stop.

In deed there is not such a file. What is this file for?

I was trying to compile propriety driver and open driver. They seems both not so well maintained and lack of care that there is bunch of errors when you make them. They are mostly five years old. But aproach seems to be all right. I can compile them in toolbox and then ad them kernel modules. That seems to be quite possible. There was some third party driver and I need to try that also. Card itself is quite new. No let see. It was fun play around in toolbox. But it is like usually that you get tired of too many difficulties.

All right. This driver are working only earlier 4.0 not 5.5 kernel. There was some volunteer what has make four patches to fix program. How can it be that TBS what manufacture TV cards do not pay attention at all. It seems to be very long way to walk. If compile work normally already understand way to go. And it will be fun and educating but this can be too much load. I am thinking to bought Hauppauge card instead.

Hey, look this. Does it mean that I do have a driver? It seems so. But how it does not shown VLC? also /dev/dvb/adapter0 does not exist. The other Kodi aplication do not run. It pop up and then dies.

[user@Finland ~]$ lspci |grep Multimedia
07:00.0 Multimedia controller: TBS Technologies DVB Tuner PCIe Card
[user@Finland ~]$ lspci -v -s 07:00.0
Subsystem: Device 6290:0002
Flags: bus master, fast devsel, latency 0, IRQ 11
Memory at de500000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=256K]
Capabilities:

All right then. I got some progress. When it turn out that TBS manufacture do not actively support and linux compatibility is maintain by a volunteers. I was installing it to Windows 7 to look if it rely function. I have such battle. First of all I did not use OS long time as used to Linux OS. It is such a antique. I bought this Thinkstation D30 from Germany as it very expandable to support my hobby. And it was bargain. Three hundred as trend is close to thousand. And I am in Euros now. I find out that it was installed as 32 bit OS and Nvidia did not assembly before find out that in a 64 bit. I think this was the reason it was sold as it is. An other struggle was that Media Center need to have connection to fetch regional signal standard and this reason I need to try terrestrial broadcast. Both have different drives. And did not have clue first if it have signal in a socket. First this signal issue and then GPU issue and battle this OS what is in fact awful. With half meter test lead show now full basket of channels. This was my progress. I have signal no HW issue and next I will make this Linux driver and compile and install pat-chess from third party and embedder in to SB OS. It will be very nice, but It is a hobby and do not want to put too much stress to it. You know stress is very bad for human biology. And also have workking TV in a family. It is only show that this Windows is such a relic and so stupid to cause consumers trouble what are more ahead.

That would indicate the card is being recognized in the kernel and should be accessible by the rest of the system.

If it was working on previous versions, there may be something on VLC’s side or Kodi’s but I am uncertain without more info. There is SPMC, and Libre-elec as an alternative to kodi if you want something open source. For DVB tuners, I have used an app in the past, but I am uncertain if it still is around (MythTV maybe???).
[Edit-2020-03-02T05:00:00Z] Tvtime was the package I was thinking of, I used this for a tvtuner card from ATI (TV-Wonder Pro) on linux (Mandrake I think). I needed the v4l lib’s and some other stuff to get it going, but it definitely worked with standard non-encrypted cable signals.

There is also this wiki about LinuxTV and a host more around using DVB adapters to view TV.

I can confirm that i do have driver installed. Manufacture publish driver kernel 5.3 and upwards and I do see card up and running. I do now need help with VLC and more specially channel list and also if needed to adjust firewall. I have experience about the Linux systems but this issues are very much new to me. I also get progress in using Toolbox. So far looks good and will not any-more turn around from SB. Yesterday after update lost Mobile Broadband. I simply choose in the boot one step down from ostree and right there get connection. Then update after one day and system up normally. Unbeatably better architecture. Earlier it was such a mess. With editing X windows, GRUB and other tuning to get connection and system up after bad update. I can see the benefits of SB.

So I have where it is all right but then in VLC is not shown in a list of devices. I need to make symbolic link? Or then ad device to somwhere in VLC. And why this Kodi software pop up once and then dies in SB. It also have construction to look DVB signals. Anyone familiar with VLC?

Command window

lspci -v -s 07:00.0

in VLC log

dtv error: cannot access adapter 0: No such file or directory