Hi everyone! This thread is a place for anyone participating in Fedora’s Summer Coding projects (Outreachy and Google Summer of Code) to introduce themselves and say hello. This includes applicants, mentors, and program admins.
For applicants, tell us a bit about yourself! You can answer the following questions:
- What do you prefer to be called? Pronouns?
- What project you are interested in and why?
- Favorite technology to work with?
- What is something you want to learn more about this year?
- A fun fact about yourself?
I thought this would be a fun way to get to know each other.
I’ll start. My name is Justin and I go by he/him pronouns. I first began contributing to Fedora in 2015. Currently, I volunteer time with the CommOps, diversity and inclusion, and Fedora Badges teams. In the past, I was a GSoC 2016 student with Fedora too. Currently, I am a student in my final year of studies living in New York.
Together with Anxhelo, @bt0dotninja, and @jonatoni, we are mentoring for the fedora-happiness-packets. This project is a downstream fork of the mxsasha/happinesspackets project. Our fork adds integration to Fedora’s account system, so Fedora contributors can appreciate efforts of another contributor and earn badges for sending a thank-you note. We are looking for people interested in Python and Django, with some web development experience. Some of the things you might do include the following:
- Migrate fedora-happiness-packets to fedora-messaging framework
- Add advanced functionality with Fedora Account System integration (e.g. looking up a specific contributor by username)
- Maintain a forked project and submit contributions back to the upstream project
- Automate a series of Fedora Badges for people to receive when sending Happiness Packets
- Use Ansible configuration management to deploy the app in a standard way
Applicants, mentors, and admins, please introduce yourselves here.